This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PUNCH BOWL PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PUNCH BOWL PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1256535

Location

THE PUNCH BOWL PUBLIC HOUSE, 7, STONEGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464794

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW STONEGATE 1112-1/28/1010 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.7 The Punch Bowl Public House

GV II

Public house. 1930 incorporating early C17 and early C19 structures; some later alteration. By Biscomb & Ferry for the Tadcaster Tower Brewery. MATERIALS: timber-framed front on limestone ashlar footings with red herring-bone brick infill on ground floor, upper floors plastered: rear of orange-beige brick in English garden-wall bond or rendered. Front gabled roof of plain tile; rear roofs hipped, of slate and plain tile: brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics; 2 gabled bays with jettied upper floors. Glazed and boarded door recessed to right beneath ogee-arched overdoor panel carved with a vine-draped punch bowl. Inn front to left has 5-light mullion and transom window to street; two similar windows flank bar door with carved panel above, in canted right return. First floor has two 3-light oriel windows, attic 3-light mullion window in right bay only. Windows are all casements, with square lattice lights on ground floor, diamond lattice on upper floors. Gables finished with bargeboards carved with vine trails and finials; left gable flanked by panels carved with lions bearing punch bowls and dated 1675 and 1930. Rear: C17 wing retains 3-course brick band and truncated principal rafter beneath altered roof. INTERIOR: ground floor fitted throughout with tongue and groove panelling and wooden settles. Front bar has round-arched brick fireplace, middle bar Tudor arched fireplace. Back bar incorporates beam and joists from earlier building; stone flagged floor and segment-arched C17 brick fireplace survive. Ceiling beam is supported on the clapper of a tenor bell which was replaced in York Minster in 1765.



Listing NGR: SE6021751997

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 60216 51996

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 07:44:51.

End of official listing