NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY COMPANY WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1256553
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1970
Statutory Address:
Station Rise, York

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY COMPANY WAR MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256553 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 08:05:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
Station Rise, York

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59822 51779

Summary

First World War memorial, 1924, by Sir Edwin Lutyens with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The North Eastern Railway Company war memorial, York, is listed at Grade II* for the following principle reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this company and the sacrifices made by its staff in the conflicts of the C20; * Architect: designed by the nationally renowned architect, Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869-1944), who designed 58 extant memorials at home and abroad including the Cenotaph in Whitehall; * Design: among the more ambitious of Lutyens’ six memorials incorporating obelisks; * Historic association: a major company war memorial, one of several structures attesting that York was the headquarters of the North Eastern Railway Company; * Group value: with the scheduled City Walls.

History

York was the headquarters of the North Eastern Railway Company (NER), and a site for the company war memorial was chosen outside its offices in the shadow of the city’s walls. In February 1920 the company decided to spend £20,000 rather than to seek subscriptions from its workforce. By October 1921 an agreement with Lutyens to design and oversee the memorial was in place. Over the following year there was much local controversy over the design and especially the siting of this memorial, and likewise the nearby City memorial which Lutyens was also designing. In the event revised plans for the NER memorial were approved in October 1922. The memorial was unveiled on 14 June 1924 by Field Marshall Lord Plumer.

The names of the fallen have suffered from erosion with the passage of time and, rather than recut the letters, the names are now contained in a List of Remembrance in the adjacent building.

Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and in some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.

Details

The North Eastern Railway Company war memorial stands at the head of Station Road, just inside the city walls. Of Portland stone, the memorial comprises an obelisk mounted on slightly canted walls screening three sides of a shallow, stepped, podium on which stands the Stone of Remembrance. Screen walls terminate in urn finials, laurel swags and wreaths. The pedestal to the obelisk is carved in relief with a laurel wreath enclosing the armorial shields of the North Eastern Railway Company. The screen wall has a central dedication panel draped in carved laurel garlands flanked by panels bearing the incised names of 2,236 men of the North Eastern Railway Company who lost their lives in the First World War. Behind the Stone of Remembrance 15 slate panels engraved with the names of those lost in the Second War are set in the raised pavement.



This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/10/2015

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464766
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Skelton, T, Gliddon, G, Lutyens and the Great War, (2008), 59-62, 96, 154, 157, 178
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 245-246
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/151045
War Memorials Register, accessed 1 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/30905

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03345/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].