SKELDERGATE BRIDGE AND ATTACHED TOLLHOUSE, ABUTMENT WALLS AND STEPS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256602
Date first listed:
01-Jul-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
SKELDERGATE BRIDGE AND ATTACHED TOLLHOUSE, ABUTMENT WALLS AND STEPS, SKELDERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SKELDERGATE BRIDGE AND ATTACHED TOLLHOUSE, ABUTMENT WALLS AND STEPS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256602.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 03:21:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
SKELDERGATE BRIDGE AND ATTACHED TOLLHOUSE, ABUTMENT WALLS AND STEPS, SKELDERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE6038451285

Details

SE6051SW 1112-1/21/11 01/07/68

YORK SKELDERGATE Skeldergate Bridge and attached tollhouse, abutment walls and steps (Formerly Listed as: Skeldergate Bridge)

GV II

Bridge, tollhouse, steps, and abutment walls extended to enclose St George's Field park and carpark, and Skeldergate park. 1879-1881, reconstructed and strengthened 1938-39. By Thomas and George Page. MATERIALS: bridge of steel and cast-iron girders on ashlar piers, and cast-iron parapet; ashlar tollhouse, with hipped slate roof and embattled tower with paired octagonal stacks with moulded cornices; abutment walls and steps of ashlar. EXTERIOR: bridge has 3 river spans between single pedestrian arches. 4-centred arches, the centre one flattened, with traceried spandrels, those to centre arch incorporating the City arms of York and the Keys of St Peter. Piers are treated as machicolated turrets, those flanking centre arch castellated. Parapet pierced by quatrefoils over band of heraldic badges. Piers form half-octagonal embrasures in parapet and enclose octagonal pedestals on chamfered plinth, surmounted by gas lamp standards of 5 octagonal shafts linked by tracery, the outer ones with ogee caps and crocket finials; interspersed with crocketed gablets. Centre shaft cast in blind trellis work incorporating the York rose. Traceried head supports three tapered lanterns with pennant finials, encircled by coronets. Tracery incorporates the City arms. Tollhouse: 2 storeys on basement plinth, with 3-stage octagonal tower, and 2-stage projecting staircase tower. Segment-arched doorway, approached by external steps, and slit lights in staircase tower. Elsewhere, windows are mullioned and transomed, of 1-, 2- or 3-lights, with traceried heads and square-latticed glazing. Panelled door to tollbooth at bridge level, beneath half-hipped canopy on carved brackets. Mullions and window and door surrounds are hollow chamfered. On north-east bank, downstream abutment contains blocked round-arched doorway to room which formerly housed machinery for opening the adjacent river span of bridge. A panel to left of tollbooth door reads: " This bridge was formally declared free/ from tolls on April 1st 1914 by/ The Right Hon Henry Rhodes Brown Lord Mayor/ Robert Newbald Kay Esquire./ Sheriff Alderman Norman Green (Chairman of Bridge Committee )" Abutment walls have moulded coping. Piers form pedestals to tapering octagonal gas lamp standards on stepped bases; tapered lanterns, encircled by coronets, have pennant finials. Foundation stone set in upstream parapet reads: "The Foundation Stone/ of this Bridge was laid 12th June 1878

by/ The Right Honourable William Lord Mayor John Bellerby Esquire, Sheriff./ George Gordon Page Esquire, Engineer". Second stone in downstream parapet reads: "This Bridge/ was first used by Foot Passengers on the 1st January 1881, and was formally/ Opened for General Traffic on the 10th March 1881,/ by the Right Honourable John Stephenson Rowntree, Lord Mayor/ Richard Thompson Esquire, Sheriff". INTERIOR: tollhouse not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE6038451285

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464723
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04211/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].