SKELDERGATE HOUSE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256636

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: SKELDERGATE HOUSE HOTEL, 56, SKELDERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SKELDERGATE HOUSE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256636 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 20:47:59.

Location

Statutory Address: SKELDERGATE HOUSE HOTEL, 56, SKELDERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60233 51414

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051SW SKELDERGATE 1112-1/21/913 (South West side) 14/06/54 No.56 Skeldergate House Hotel

GV II*

House, now hotel. c1777-8, altered and part demolished c1925. Probably by John Carr for Ralph Dodsworth, Sheriff and Lord Mayor of York. MATERIALS: orange-red brick in Flemish bond, with window arches of gauged brick; painted ashlar dressings and timber eaves cornice; slate roof with brick stacks. PLAN: originally central-entry plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 5-window front, gable to street. Open-pedimented doorcase with fluted pilasters, moulded imposts and frieze block roundels; octagonal-panel double door beneath plain fanlight in keyed round-arched surround with sunk panel pilasters. To left, two 4-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick; to right, flat arched carriageway broken through to rear of building. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes with sill band, over raised first floor band, which returns on right side. Centre window has eared and lobed architrave with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice; flanking windows have floating cornice above flat arch. Second floor windows are squat 6-pane sashes, the centre one in eared and lobed architrave, the flanking ones with painted stone sills and flat arches. Moulded eaves cornice to pedimented gable end. Radial-glazed oculus in painted ashlar moulding in gable end. Pediment flanked by low parapets with moulded coping terminating in urn finials. Rear: pedimented gable end with moulded cornice, enclosing lunette window. Right return: Venetian staircase window with radial-glazed centre sash. Moulded eaves cornice. INTERIOR: ground floor: original staircase column-on-vase balusters re-used in rebuilt staircase in entrance hall. Original plasterwork survives in entrance hall and former stairhall to rear. Saloon to left of entrance retains moulded skirting, enriched dado and panelling, cornice and plaster ceiling. On first floor, landing has dentilled cornice. Room to left survives intact, with fireplace of panelled pilasters and console cornice shelf, and cast-iron grate. Arched bed recess between Tuscan pilasters in rear wall. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 103).

Listing NGR: SE6023351414

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464712

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 103

End of official listing