NUMBERS 31 TO 34 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GAS LIGHT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256637
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 31 TO 34 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GAS LIGHT, 31-34, ALBION PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 31 TO 34 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GAS LIGHT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256637.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 00:02:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 31 TO 34 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GAS LIGHT, 31-34, ALBION PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30109 33584

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW ALBION PLACE 714-1/76/10 (South side) 05/08/76 Nos.31-34 (Consecutive) and attached railings and gas light (Formerly Listed as: ALBION PLACE (South side) County Court)

GV II

County Court and High Court premises with basement railings and gas light, now shops and offices. 1870, converted c1987. By TC Sorby. Rusticated ashlar ground floor, red brick with stone dressings above, roof not visible, cast-iron railings. Of 2 builds, the left range (County Court) of 2 storeys, basement, attic storey on right; the right range (High Court) of 3 storeys and basement. Left range: 1:3:1:3:1 windows, quoined pilasters to central and outer bays. Central and end entrances have columns supporting a Doric entablature, balustrading over end entrances. The ground floor arcaded recesses have paired pilasters, moulded impost and keyblocks, round-headed sashes. Above: to left, tall round-headed windows with keyblocks, moulded architraves with pediments and small square windows above. Heavy dentilled cornice. Right range: 3 windows, rusticated ashlar ground floor with round arch windows and doorway with heavy dentilled cornice hoods over, carved spandrels to windows. 1st floor: sashes in moulded architraves with large cornice hoods on console brackets and aprons joining hoods of ground-floor windows and door. 2nd floor: segmental-headed windows in rectangular architraves with keyblocks and continuous sill course. Heavy dentilled eaves course with large ornate modillion brackets. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings: heavy square-section geometric strapwork design with central 2-leaf gates fronting County Court centre, slender with bud finials to left and fronting High Court right. Gas light: lamp attached to SW corner (Change Alley) with scrolled bracket. HISTORICAL NOTE: Thomas Sorby succeeded Charles Reeves as County Court Surveyor in 1867 and designed courts in Bradford, Halifax, Barnsley. In 1899 the buildings comprised the County Court and the Court of Bankruptcy.



Listing NGR: SE3010933584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464713
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16121/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Carr. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].