PARISH ROOM OF ST CRUX AND WALL ATTACHED TO NORTH WEST CORNER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1256664
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
PARISH ROOM OF ST CRUX AND WALL ATTACHED TO NORTH WEST CORNER, SHAMBLES

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH ROOM OF ST CRUX AND WALL ATTACHED TO NORTH WEST CORNER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256664.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 21:45:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH ROOM OF ST CRUX AND WALL ATTACHED TO NORTH WEST CORNER, SHAMBLES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60497 51832

Details

YORK

SE6051NW SHAMBLES 1112-1/28/1128 (North East side) 14/06/54 Parish Room of St Crux and wall attached to north-west corner

GV II*

Parish room, incorporating minimal remains of the parish church of St Crux. 1888 re-using early C15 masonry. Magnesian limestone ashlar and rubble; tile roof with ashlar stack, stone copings and trefoil gable finials. PLAN: Rectangular. EXTERIOR: re-used west doors are panel-traceried in 4-centred moulded arch between single cinquefoiled windows: all have coved hoodmoulds, doorway with head stops, window stops foliate. Over door, square-headed window of paired cinquefoiled lights and flat hood. South side has four similar windows. Reset east window has cinquefoiled lights with panel tracery in 4-centred casement moulded surround. North wall incorporates masonry from former church, including broad chamfered plinth. Wall extends approximately 4 metres from north-west corner to rear of Nos 22 and 23 The Shambles (qv), forming south side of passage from The Shambles to Whip-ma-whop-ma-gate: blocked 4-centred doorway at west end beside small tomb recess beneath low 4-centred arch. INTERIOR: inner lobby formed by panelled screen surmounted by reset pedimented overdoor with pulvinated frieze and dated central date of 1671: cartouche of arms draped with swags in tympanum. Notable monuments salvaged from former church and reset in the Parish Room, include:- Sarah Rhodes, d.1813, by the Fishers of York; Sir Tancred Robinson, d.1754, by Robert Avray of York; Thomas Court, d.1803, by Plows; Sir Robert Watter and wife, dated 1610; Thomas Clifton, d.1754; Robert Belwood, d.1694; Thomas Bowes, d.1777, possibly by Fisher; Henry Waite, d.1780, by Fisher; and Richard Hudson, d.1802, by Chambers of Scarborough. Two hatchments to Herbert family. 5 carved corbel-heads, re-used, support roof trusses. The parish church of St Crux was demolished in 1887. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 11).

Listing NGR: SE6049751832

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464695
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 11

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/06200/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].