NUMBER 13 AND ABBEY MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256706

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: NUMBER 13 AND ABBEY MILLS, 13, ABBEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 13 AND ABBEY MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256706 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 06:28:01.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 13 AND ABBEY MILLS, 13, ABBEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 26277 35718

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2635 ABBEY ROAD, Kirkstall 714-1/22/885 (West side) 05/08/76 No.13 and Abbey Mills (Formerly Listed as: ABBEY ROAD, Kirkstall (South side) Abbey Mills including No.13 Abbey Road)

GV II

Mill complex, corn/oil and wool, now light industrial units. Early C19, incorporating remains of earlier mill buildings destroyed by fire 1799; later C19 and C20 alterations. Coursed squared gritstone, grey slate and stone slate roofs. The complex has 4 linked ranges in rough L-plan, one side parallel to Abbey Road; the masonry platform and bridge over the goit, and the remains of a further range parallel to the goit, to the south. Main range has an early entrance block on the road side, 2 storeys and 3 bays with blocked round arch right, quoined jambs, plain sills and lintels, 2 blocked doorways; on the left return is No.13 Abbey Road: inserted doorway with overlight and large windows, C20 frames, hipped roof, a roadside wall with flat coping and plain stone gate piers with shaped tops. To right of the former entrance is the gable end of a 4-storey block with blocked ground-floor entrance, small rectangular windows and 2 inserted C20 windows. The gabled range extends westwards approx 10 bays, part obscured by corrugated iron lean-to: the small windows with large sills and lintels of the original arrangement are altered towards the western end by larger inserted openings, the original top-floor openings are set well below the building's eaves line. The rear (N) side of this range has enlarged 2nd-floor windows and an attached lower range built with some very large stones and, on the E wall 1st floor, a blocked voussoired flat arch and square windows with stone surrounds, gable to right. On the masonry platform at the W end of the site and standing

at right angles to the 4-storey block there is a 4-storey, 11-bay range built with burned stones, possibly from the 1799 fire. It has a part-blocked round archway centre, W side, 2 tiers of tall 6-pane windows and 5 small windows under the eaves, right. Two 1st-floor windows are blocked, one of the stones having shallow well-cut date '1814'. The S gable is 4 windows, circular panel in gable, gable coping and short stack. The N end is altered but in the gable a tall loading door with flanking square windows; to N again a 3-bay single-storey shed with north lights. The 2-storey, 6-window range parallel to the present yard access, possibly a finishing shop, has herring-bone tooling and tie-stone jambs to the paired doors, right, square windows in plain stone surrounds, original form right, 2 knocked into 1 and lintels raised centre and left, an ashlar ridge stack, raised in brick, to right of centre. 2 further 2-storey bays with altered openings, right. Across the yard, and parallel to the mill's tailrace, the single-storey range was possibly the drying house; N end demolished, stone and brick ranges probably the remains of machine shops, stables, etc. The remaining features of the site are the masonry platform and the tail-race bridge, the latter approx 30m long, 3 buttresses, 2 wide segmental arches with rusticated voussoirs, rounded coping to the low ashlar parapet wall. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the mill is thought to stand on the site of a medieval complex processing corn. A major fire in 1799 resulted in extensive rebuilding and by the 1820s Ephraim Elsworth worked a corn and oil mill here; parts were used for the production of woollen cloth from the 1820s until 1961 when it was bought by Leeds City Council. The 10-bay range with small windows is perhaps part of the corn mill, while the tall western range, former drying house and finishing shops relate to woollen manufacture.



Listing NGR: SE2627735718

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464645

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing