CHURCH OF ST MARY ABBOTSBURY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256768

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1996

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY ABBOTSBURY, WAVERLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY ABBOTSBURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256768 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 00:07:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY ABBOTSBURY, WAVERLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Grid Reference: SX 85729 71524

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8571 WAVERLEY ROAD 1012-1/8/133 (East side) 16/07/49 Church of St Mary Abbotsbury (Formerly Listed as: WAVERLEY ROAD Church of St Mary)

II*

Church. 1904-1906, dated 1905 on rainwater heads. By EH Sedding. MATERIALS: rock-faced Devon limestone rubble with freestone dressings and slate roof. STYLE: Free Perpendicular Gothic. PLAN: cruciform. EXTERIOR: C15 central east window transferred from St Mary's Chapel, Highweek Street, has curvilinear star-shaped tracery found in other local churches and is surrounded by crocketed niches and badges of the Yarde and Ferrers families. Buttresses gabled to the upper offsets, weathered to the lower two, step well forward to the line of a lean-to single-storey range below the window. The long 6-bay nave is articulated by flying buttresses supporting at the eaves octagonal plinths intended for conical-roofed octagonal turrets (only those to the front have them) and terminated by deep wall-like gabled piers. Two-light traceried clerestorey windows with segmental arches are over shallow pointed-arched 3-light windows to the aisles. The north transept has a tall 4-light window and a timber belfry to the left return. The west front is flanked by offset buttresses which step forward in stages to flank a single-storey pent-roofed baptistery with C20 central doors flanked by buttresses supporting two broken niches and two 2-light trefoil-headed windows to each side. The slightly-pointed, almost semicircular-arched west window has 2 chamfered mullions and swirling tracery made popular by the architect's uncle JD Sedding. INTERIOR: smooth stone-faced walls; panelled barrel-vaulted roof with foliate corbels; pointed arches on deeply-chamfered, almost octagonal piers with colonettes to the nave side connected by foliate bands at impost level and engaged to the slightly-projecting clerestory wall which has foliate bosses to the coving of the lower edge and small pierced quatrefoil panels above the coving. The ceilings of the aisles are articulated by pointed stone arches. The chancel has a pointed arch and a slightly lower ceiling similar to that of the nave; an ornate crested rood screen with 8 open panels to the top over a wide arch to the centre and 2 panels to each side; an elaborately-carved crested reredos and an organ to the left; a marble floor and communion rail with carved pierced panels; fine carved chior stalls. In the nave, to the front-left of the rood screen are sweeping stairs to a carved octagonal pulpit on 8 columns with a crested tester. FITTINGS: include a font on a pedestal to the north aisle, an eagle lectern, and good original 4-light wrought-iron chandeliers. GLASS: some stained glass to the east window and aisles, other windows have subtle cobweb-pattern leading. (BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 586).



Listing NGR: SX8572971524

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464569

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 586

End of official listing