TUCKERS MALTINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256785
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1983
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
TUCKERS MALTINGS, TEIGN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUCKERS MALTINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256785 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 22:59:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
TUCKERS MALTINGS, TEIGN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Abbot
National Grid Reference:
SX 86775 71561

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8671 TEIGN ROAD 1012-1/9/124 (East side) 22/03/83 Tucker's Maltings (Formerly Listed as: TEIGN ROAD (East side) Old Warehouses)

II

Maltings. 1900 by William Bradford, architect and engineer, with later extension to right. MATERIALS: Devon limestone rubble with red brick stepped eaves bands and rusticated dressings, slate damp-proof course, blocks, crested slate roofs of varying heights including two sections to left of centre with hipped roofs to malt kilns and three gabled timber elevator towers to the ridge. PLAN: two long rectangular ranges with a 3-window range block to the left and a single-storey curved range to the far left with blocked windows, a C20 garage door and a corrugated-iron roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. Left-hand block has no eaves band, quoins and window jambs are of rubblestone; ground-floor left-hand window, now blocked, has a rubblestone arch, other windows and a full-height gabled loading-bay have brick arches with keystones. Segmental arches without keystones to the central block, wide windows of 4 square panes to the top over 2 panes though most are now plate-glass, all with stop-chamfered arrises to the frames. Block to the inside left has 6 windows; the two hipped-roofed malt kiln blocks each have 3 windows; the central block has 11 windows to the first floor and 2 loading-bays; the slightly later block to the right has keystones to the segmental arches, no eaves band, 4 altered gabled loading bays and windows. Gabled left return has a semicircular arched recess with a bracket and pulley and C20 windows. INTERIOR: the working maltings, virtually unaltered, are also a museum and visitor centre. An exceptionally well-preserved interior, with original planked floors, 1900 concrete drying floors, cast-iron columns and steeping tanks, Jacob's ladder bucket elevator, barley screener, malt cleaner and four kilns formerly heated by coal delivered directly from the railway that runs along the rear of the building, gaslight fittings and some original stairs remain. Other stairs are C20 reconstructions. The later block to the right was formerly for making cider. A remarkably complete surviving example of an industrial maltings.



Listing NGR: SX8677571561

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464543
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06891/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Funnell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].