This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE SHIP AND ANCHOR PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SHIP AND ANCHOR PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1256814

Location

THE SHIP AND ANCHOR PUBLIC HOUSE, 188, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Maldon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464530

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALDON

TL8506NE HIGH STREET 574-1/9/114 (South West side) 24/09/71 No.188 The Ship and Anchor Public House

GV II

Public house. C16 and possibly earlier. Timber-framed with painted brick front; plain tile roof hipped with large gablet to north-west and dropping to lower ridgeline to hipped return on south-east; off-centre ridgeline stack. Complex plan form. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic; 4-window range. Modillioned eaves. The 1st floor has 2 segmental-headed 6-pane sash windows, one 2-light casement with central horizontal glazing bars and a combined window under a wide segmental head with an 8-pane sash and small sash window. Ground floor has 2 early C19 doorcases each with pilasters, recessed C19 doors, and moulded flat hoods. 2 flat-roofed canted bay windows with sash windows each with one vertical glazing bar. One pair of sashes unsubdivided under a single arched head and a segmental-headed entrance with C19 door with 6 panes in upper part. Single-storey gabled C19 extension in red brick on south-east flank with coupled sash, as adjoining window of main block and painted front. North-west flank elevation has brick return and wall of render over black weatherboarding. The return roof slope here is of asbestos slates and a tall black weatherboarded tower, with gabled plain tile roof, abutts west corner. The rear elevation has a C19 2-storeyed, red Flemish-bond brickwork extension with pantiled roof, ridge stack and sash window, as 1st floor with small panes and margin glazing. Adjoining this is a C19 single-storey gabled extension of red brick (partly painted) with Welsh slate roof. Rendered rear stair tower of early C17 with gabled plain tile roof and single-light casement to attic level. North-western cross-wing has gable to rear and adjoining single-storey extension has machine-made plain tile roof, red brick to north and white weatherboarding to yard. Yard side has sash window with central vertical glazing bar and C20 flat-roofed lobby extension. C20 conservatory extension with gabled glazed roof. INTERIOR: former open-hall house with C16 parlour cross-wing surviving substantially intact at north-west end. This has jowled posts, evidence for former parlour door in rear part of partition (now removed) and former front jetty. Roof has crown posts with thin longitudinal bracing and formerly hipped with gablet to rear. Front had pair of ground-floor windows (jetty

bracket in central joist) and evidence for 1st-floor window on north-west flank. Service-end cross-wing also survives and is possibly earlier with deep cambered tie beam on front elevation exposed inside. Hall range was rebuilt as 2 storeys in early-mid C17 with long central spine beam and joggled side-purlin roof with one purlin arched to form access to attic from rear timber-framed stair tower. Some C17 doors. (RCHME: Essex Central and South-west: London: 1921-: 177:16).





Listing NGR: TL8552006788

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 1921

National Grid Reference: TL 85520 06788

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256814 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 09:26:30.

End of official listing