CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256816 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 11:06:37.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Maldon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 84935 07072
TL8407SE HIGH STREET 574-1/6/116 (North side) 02/10/51 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C13-C15, remodelled 1728. Restoration 1858 of south aisle and spire; 1867 restored and reseated; 1877 further restoration. MATERIALS: mixed flint and rubble with some limestone and ashlar dressings; north wall of nave rebuilt in red brick with burnt headers; red-brick east gable; plain tile roofs; oak-shingled spire. PLAN: nave with 4-bay south aisle, the north arcade was removed and the north aisle wall rebuilt 1728. At the west end of the nave is a triangular tower, with the tower arch facing north-east. The west wall of the nave runs south-west at an angle from the north-west angle of the north aisle to meet the tower. C19 north porch, now vestry. 3-bay chancel with D'Arcy chapel to south and organ chamber to north, under a triple gabled roof. EXTERIOR: probably early C13 three-stage tower incorporating earlier fabric in the base, partially refaced C19. Restored lancets to south and north-west faces, area of blocking beneath latter indicating former doorway. Round-headed slit windows above and small section of chevron moulding above south opening. Top stage has pair of restored lancets and a single lancet to south, all louvred; north-west side has blocked openings as before. Spire flanked by short spirelets at angles. South aisle of c1330. Wide west door of two orders of attached shafts with moulded capitals bearing a band of carved foliage; eroded vine scroll to arch. C19 Geometrical-traceried window above (replaces 5-light intersecting tracery window Grieg Print 1819). Small south door with eroded foliate capitals. 3-light aisle windows on sill band, intersecting, reticulated and Geometrical tracery renewed externally except for the unusual reticulated and panel-traceried eastern window. C19 offset buttresses with figure statues in niches. North wall has C19 panel-traceried windows. Chancel: south chapel restored Perpendicular 3-light windows, two in externally chamfered reveals. C19 priests' door. Restored 5-light Decorated east window, the lower section of which has been blocked. C19 chancel east window of four lights under C19 brick gable. North (organ chamber) recess with stone jambs and brick Tudor arch surmounted by a square brick
recess. North wall has 3 Perpendicular windows with ferramenta, the westernmost renewed C19. INTERIOR: double-chamfered tower arch, the inner order on renewed corbels; blocked opening above; base of tower in pudding stone. Nave remodelled 1728 with the rebuilding of the north side: chancel arch and north chapel arch replaced; flat nave ceiling with coving. South arcade of four bays; east respond renewed and arches restored; supported on slender Purbeck piers of quatrefoil section with fillets, Pontefract bases and moulded capitals which appear too small for the arcade above. The western arch is roll-moulded with fillets and foliate steps; west respond triple attached shafts with moulded capital bearing band of foliate carving. South aisle lavishly adorned with two tiers of blind arcading in Decorated style. Lower tier of cusped ogee-headed arcading beneath a moulded string; the wide ogee arch with pinnacle over each door has been renewed. Arcading to south wall interrupted by the ogee arched door with broach stops to the crypt; to the east of this, the arcading is set upon a stone bench lining the wall and has the additional decoration of diapered spandrels. The string course and head stops are largely C19. At the east end the arcading is truncated by the stonework of a vaulted canopy with buttresses of a sedilia or tomb recess, which has been hacked away. Above the string course the wall arcading is of alternating wide and narrow bays, the wide arches containing the windows: moulded jambs and arches with continuous vine scroll; the narrow bays between the windows have sub-cusped sub arches with a cusped vesica above. Ceiled barrel roof incorporating three reused moulded tie beams. Double-chamfered arch on triple responds with tall Perpendicular bases to D'Arcy chapel. Mutilated C14 piscina. Chancel south arcade has Perpendicular quatrefoil piers with hollow chamfers in angles, polygonal bases and moulded capitals. C19 parclose screens; remains of rood door above. Ceiled barrel roof to chancel with cornice and boxed-in tie beams. North arcade of octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches and plaque: 'REBUILT 1800'. MONUMENTS: good C17 wall monuments to chancel east and south walls: John Jeffrey, d.1657; Mary Scrivener, wife of John Vernon, d.1647; Sarah Butler, d.1638. On the east wall of the north chapel: 1602 monument to Thomas Cammocke and his two wives with kneeling figures in a continuous aedicule. FITTINGS: Stuart Royal Arms in timber. Rood screen of 1925. C19 stone font. C20 pulpit with tester. HISTORY: the south chapel was probably the chantry of Sir Robert D'Arcy founded c1443. (RCHME: Essex: 1921-: 170-3; Kelly's Directory: Essex: 1902-:
279; White's Directory: 1863-: 223; Morant P: History and Antiquities of Essex: 327; Grieg: County Record Office Mint Binder).
Listing NGR: TL8493507072
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 170-3
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 327
'Kellys Directory' in Essex, (1902), 279
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing