This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

69 AND 71, HIGH STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 69 AND 71, HIGH STREET

List entry Number: 1256844

Location

69 AND 71, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Maldon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464476

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALDON

TL8507SW HIGH STREET 574-1/7/90 (North East side) 02/10/51 Nos.69 AND 71

GV II*

Shop, C16 and early C17. Timber-framed and rendered with gabled roofs. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics; 3-bay range; and extensive rear extensions. 2 large gabled bays flanking smaller gabled bay with, behind the north-west pair, a taller roof parallel to the street. The north-west gabled wing has moulded barge-boards and a semicircular-headed C19 fixed window to attic. The 1st floor has a C19 canted bay window with sashes with central vertical glazing bar and felted hipped roof. On the ground floor a C19 shop front with canted-out fascia, cant sides, recessed cant-sided entrance of large panes, takes up about half the frontage. The central gable is smaller and has moulded barge-boards and a C19 casement fixed-light window in 2 parts, above and below the old tie beam. Ground floor has canted flat-roofed bay with sashes with one vertical glazing bar. The south-east gable has similar barge-boards and semicircular-headed window to attic and is jettied on large ornamental brackets. The 1st floor has a canted bay window under jetty and sashes with 2 vertical glazing bars. The 1st floor is also jettied on hewn posts with moulded bressumer and 2 projecting joist ends with mouldings. The ground floor has wide carriage arch with heavy curved arch braces and C20 four-panel door in moulded frame with flight of 3 steps. On the rear the carriage-arch block is gabled as is the central wing which projects further towards the north. Attached to the 1st floor of the south-east wing is a black weatherboarded structure with slate lean-to roof and C19 sash windows. Behind the central block are 2 lean-to roofed structures, at right-angles to one another, of black weatherboarding, one with slate and other with plain tiles. On the rear of the north-west wing is a large C20 flat-roofed extension and slate gable-roofed rendered extension on its northern end. INTERIOR: the central block is the older part and is a C16 cross-wing with arch-braced side-purlin roof, formerly jettied to the front. The structure seems to incorporate much reused timber. In the early C17 this was enveloped as part of a high quality house with contemporary carriage arch. The north-west wing had ovolo-frieze windows either side of an oriel (recent

renovation). The central wing has internal wall bracing and was refitted with ovolo windows in C17 remaking. The south-east wing has central A-frame truss, side-purlin roof with straight wind braces and long straight internal wall braces. The 1st-floor bay window structure incorporates ovolo mullions from former oriel in this position. This wing also had small ovolo-mullioned windows each side of the central oriel. Inside these a C19 cast-iron Art Nouveau fireplace and boarded C17 door. A well preserved and unrestored example of a town house of the period. (RCHME: Essex Central and South-west: London: 1921-: 181:6).





Listing NGR: TL8515307029

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 181

National Grid Reference: TL 85153 07029

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256844 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 09:06:29.

End of official listing