ST ANTHONYS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1256892

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: ST ANTHONYS HALL, PEASHOLME GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ANTHONYS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256892 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 13:27:28.

Location

Statutory Address: ST ANTHONYS HALL, PEASHOLME GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60731 51989

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE PEASHOLME GREEN 1112-1/17/865 (North West side) 14/06/54 St Anthony's Hall

GV I

Guildhall; now Institute of Historical Research. 1446-53; refaced in brick and remodelled 1655; alterations of 1828 and 1839-50, including re-roofing. Renovated 1952-53. Original building for the Guild of St Anthony. MATERIALS: timber-framed: ground floor of magnesian limestone on two sides, ground floor elsewhere and first floor of red brick in irregular bond; moulded stone first floor string and moulded brick dressings; slate roofs in 3 parallel ranges, with brick stacks. Undercroft with chapel and hospital; 9-bay aisled hall on first floor. EXTERIOR: Peasholme Green: 2-storey 4-window front on chamfered and moulded plinths. Chamfered doorway to left of centre, with flush panelled double doors, beneath cross-glazed oeil-de-boeuf. To left, 4-centred window opening blocked by paired 30-pane sashes; to right, three restored square-headed windows with similar sashes; all window openings are moulded and all openings have coved hoodmoulds with shield stops. First floor windows are of 3 transomed lights with large-pane casements. Cogged brick eaves. Rear: one barred prison window survives on ground floor, beneath later pent canopy roof. Blocked first floor window at right end retains wide segmental brick arch. Aldwark front: 2 storeys, 3 gabled bays, centre bay higher, on chamfered and moulded plinths. Left bay has doorway with 4-centred head, now blocked by 12-pane sash window; on each side, round-headed niches with square hoodmoulds, beneath decayed stone panels. Centre bay has original window of 2 cinquefoiled lights in square head between later inserted windows, one similar, one a single top-opening light. Windows on first floor are of 3 lights beneath moulded brick pediments; window to left has moulded mullions and transom, centre one 2 tiers of 20-pane lights, right one as on Peasholme Green front: oeil-de-boeuf with crossed glazing bars in double chamfered brick surround in centre gable apex. Two rainwater heads, one box-shaped, enriched with winged cherubs and dated 1771, one inverted bell. At left end of ground floor, cast-iron boundary marker for ST SAVIOUR'S PARISH 1842 fixed to masonry. Right return to garden: as Aldwark front, on chamfered plinth. Glazed and panelled door beneath tall 16-pane overlight to left of central canted bay window with pulvinated cornice and 24:42:24-pane sashes. On either side, tripartite windows with 12:30:12-pane sashes in chamfered surrounds. First floor windows have moulded brick pediments. Centre oeil-de-boeuf and two winged cherub rainwater heads, dated, 1771 as on Aldwark

front. INTERIOR: ground floor: little framing survives. At Aldwark end, braced wall posts and moulded corbels support moulded beams. Cross passage ceiling carried on 2-centred chamfered arches springing from moulded corbels. Open string staircase with cast-iron stick balusters and turned newel. At foot of stairs, blocked doorway in chamfered surround. First floor: hall roof carried on 3 crown post trusses with moulded ties and kerb principals at Aldwark end, continuing on 6 arch-braced collar trusses springing from demi-angel corbels. Arcades now closed beneath embattled plates. Aisle roofs ceiled with 4-centred plaster vaults between arch-braced moulded ties with renewed centre bosses, on angel corbels at post heads. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Guild of St Anthony was dissolved in 1627, after which the building served a number of purposes, including that of military hospital and prison in C17. From 1705 to 1946, it was occupied by the York Blue Coat School. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 91-93).



Listing NGR: SE6073451996

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464440

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 91-93

End of official listing