Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256914.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 01:45:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 60486 51782



SE6051NW PAVEMENT 1112-1/28/857 (South East side) 14/06/54 Nos.12 AND 14 The Herbert House


Formerly known as: Sir Thomas Herbert's House PAVEMENT. House, now shop and offices. Early C17 house with mid C17 extension linking with mid C16 house at rear; extension enlarged during late C19 restoration; further restoration including partial rebuilding, shopfront, and re-roofing of rear house, in 1925. Early C17 house probably built for John Jacques, Merchant, c1614. MATERIALS: all parts timber-framed. Early C17 house has front of white-washed plaster, rear rebuilt in re-used orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond; pantile roof of two parallel ranges, masked at rear by ramped-up brick parapet; brick stack. Mid C17 extension rebuilt in pink-orange brick in English garden-wall bond, with lead and pantile roofs. Mid C16 house has rebuilt ground floor of pink-orange brick in Flemish bond, upper floors of white-washed plaster, and tiled roof. EXTERIOR: early C17 house: 3 storeys and attics; 3-bay twin-gabled front, with jettied first and second floors and exposed framing. Shopfront has windows of three segment-headed lights with transoms framed in plain mullions, and recessed glazed door. At left end, ogee-arched door with original door furniture, beneath divided overlight, gives access to upper floors. Passage opening at right end leads to Lady Peckitt's Yard. First floor windows are mullioned and transomed, of 4 and 5 lights, with small 2- and 3-light mullion windows at each end: second floor and attic windows are mullioned, of 2 or 4 lights: all windows are diamond-lattice casements. Jetty bressumers carry carved fascia boards; gables finished with carved barge boards and restored or replacement spike finials and drop pendants; roof valleys masked by renewed timber panels carved with grapes and vines. Rear: windows on first and second floors are replacements; in attic gables, original openings survive, one blocked, one with renewed window. Right return to Lady Peckitt's Yard: rebuilt extension has door of 6 beaded panels with semicircular fanlight in reset open-pedimented doorcase with fluted half-column jambs and garlanded frieze blocks. Mid C16 house: 3-storey front of 4 unequal bays, with jettied upper floors and exposed framing. Ground floor has shallow bow window with moulded cornice to left of paired shop windows of 5 arcaded lights beneath panelled friezes, all with small-pane glazing. First and second floor windows are single or multi-light casements as on Pavement front. Rear: first floor jetty incorporated into side passage of adjacent Golden Fleece public house (qv).

INTERIOR: coffered ceiling to through passage. Early C17 house, ground floor: transverse beams carried on cast-iron columns with leaf capitals. First floor: chamfer-stopped moulded beams and joists throughout. Replacement open string staircase with turned balusters and heavy, ramped-up moulded handrail on column newels rises to second floor. Front room now subdivided by reset C17 panelling. Larger room lined throughout with run-through panelling beneath fretwork frieze and moulded cornice on carved consoles; panelled door in fluted doorcase with angle roundels. Replacement fire surround framed in tapered carved pilaster jambs and fretwork frieze: massive tripartite overmantel of carved and jewelled panels between squat Corinthian columns, and vine-carved frieze incorporating the Herbert Arms. Roof: trusses carried on sole-pieces. Mid C16 house: first floor rear room has plaster-encased beams decorated with pomegranates and foliage. Doorway with 4-centred head cut in wallplate leads to later building. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house takes its name from associations with Sir Thomas Herbert, friend and attendant of Charles I, whose family acquired an earlier house on the site in 1557. In 1639, Charles I was entertained here by the Lord Mayor, Roger Jaques, on which occasion he knighted Thomas Widdrington, Recorder of York, and early historian of the City. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 190-91; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 176).

Listing NGR: SE6048751780


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 176
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 190-191


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04195/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].