CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256926

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1996

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, LABURNUM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256926 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 00:03:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, LABURNUM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Grid Reference: SX 87344 70137

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8770 LABURNUM ROAD, Milber 1012-1/11/172 (South side) CHURCH OF ST LUKE

II

Church. Begun 1936 and completed 1963, to the 1931 designs of Arthur Martin. MATERIALS: rendered walls with slate roofs; copper-clad tower roof. PLAN: planned in the form of a St Andrew's Cross, with 3 angled naves converging on the altar with an apsidal chancel. STYLE: Byzantine-Romanesque. EXTERIOR: round-arched 3-light windows to north and south sides of chancel. Squat crossing tower with pyramidal roof, shallow clasping buttresses and plat band meeting imposts of 2-light round-arched belfry windows; the tower has triangular projections with tall cavetto-moulded lights which connect to radiating chapels with similar 4-light windows. Chapels have, to west, similar 2-light windows and then angled links, each with segmental-arched surround to doorway, connected to outer faces of projecting west front; the west front has slightly projecting outer bays clasping recessed and gabled centre, with small round-arched light above continuous plat band and then large west window (round-arched and shouldered) above limestone ashlar surround framing central doorway and flanking 2-light square-headed windows; the outer projecting blocks have round-arched one-light windows. INTERIOR: of exceptional spatial quality, with the 3 naves radiating from the centre being linked together by arcades with granite columns, which are surmounted above by round-arched clerestorey windows; chapels are barrel-vaulted, and have granite columns with moulded capitals to deep rere-arches. The narthex is partitioned from the naves by a leaded glass screen, and has two staircases leading to the gallery above. Plain and severe design to high altar; pulpit is a later design, objected to by Arthur Martin who designed moveable lectern. Remarkable for its interior spatial quality and extraordinary centralised plan, which anticipates one of the principal characteristics of post-war planning. The design for the church was revealed to the vicar, J Keble Martin (brother of the architect and celebrated author of British Flora), in a dream. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-).





Listing NGR: SX8734470137

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464432

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989)

End of official listing