NUMBERS 109-115 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATE PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257036
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 109-115 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATE PIERS, 109-115, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 109-115 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATE PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257036.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 11:03:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 109-115 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATE PIERS, 109-115, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Abbot
National Grid Reference:
SX 86151 71146

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8671 EAST STREET 1012-1/9/61 (North side) 22/03/83 Nos.109-115 (Odd) and attached walls and gate piers

GV II

Group of 4 almshouses. 1845. MATERIALS: squared Devon limestone rubble with larger blocks to quoins, kneelers and gable parapets; painted freestone dressings; slate roof with cream brick stacks to rear. STYLE: Picturesque Tudor. PLAN: U-plan with 2 forward outer gabled bays. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 1:3:1 fenestration. The gabled ranges of Nos 109 to the left and 115 to the right have loopholes to the apexes, flat arches over 2-light leaded casement windows with Tudor arch and sunk spandrels to each light. Those to ground floor are taller with crenellated lintels. Entrances are in the returns. The central houses have single-light windows similar to first-floor outer ones flanking a hoodmould and double plank doors below a blind window with inscription. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to outer corners are rubblestone walls approx 1m high and 1m long and paired gabled gate piers with roll-moulded ridges and recessed triangular panels to front. HISTORY: first built in 1640 in Torquay Road endowed by Lady Lucy Reynell wife of the owner of Forde House, Torquay Road, (qv) who intended them to accommodate the widows, "the relicts of preaching ministers, left poor, without a house of their own". The original building was demolished in 1790 and rebuilt in East Street nearer to the town centre. (Jones R: A Book of Newton Abbot: Callington 1979: 121 AND 122).



Listing NGR: SX8615171146

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464290
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, R, A Book of Newton Abbot, (1979), 121-122

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09943/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Mackenzie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].