THE OTHER TAP AND SPILE PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257062

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: THE OTHER TAP AND SPILE PUBLIC HOUSE, 15, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OTHER TAP AND SPILE PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 23:29:35.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OTHER TAP AND SPILE PUBLIC HOUSE, 15, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60092 51725

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW NORTH STREET 1112-1/28/807 (West side) No.15 The Other Tap and Spile Public House

II

Public house. Dated 1896, with some later remodelling. By WG Penty. Red brick in English garden-wall bond, the basement painted; painted stone dressings; stone coped gables to tiled roof. EXTERIOR: basement and 2 storeys, alternate bays with attic; 4 bays, articulated above basement by thin giant pilasters with moulded imposts. Left of centre attic has shaped gable, right end one shaped parapet, both with moulded coping. Entrance in basement of left of centre bay has double doors each of 4 raised and fielded panels beneath flat hood on fluted console brackets. To right, boarded cellar doors. At right end, tall elliptical carriage arch, closed by ramped-up boarded double gates. On ground floor, 3-light window over door, lighting inner stairway, flanked by 3-light mullion and transom windows. Similar window over carriage arch on first floor; others of 2 lights. All windows are small-pane casements, recessed beneath semicircular or segmental relieving arches. On ground floor, pilaster bases continue on each side to form moulded sill band; at first floor moulded impost band forms sill band to first floor windows. In attic, pilaster imposts linked by flat band, inscribed over left of centre bay with date 1896. INTERIOR: not inspected. A public house on the site was known from c1840 to c1980 as The Yorkshire Hussar. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 81).



Listing NGR: SE6008351723

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464271

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing