This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

YORKSHIRE MUSEUM, TEMPEST ANDERSON HALL AND ST MARYS ABBEY REMAINS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: YORKSHIRE MUSEUM, TEMPEST ANDERSON HALL AND ST MARYS ABBEY REMAINS

List entry Number: 1257100

Location

YORKSHIRE MUSEUM, TEMPEST ANDERSON HALL AND ST MARYS ABBEY REMAINS, MUSEUM GARDENS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464225

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5952SE MUSEUM GARDENS 1112-1/12/783 Yorkshire Museum, Tempest Anderson 14/06/54 Hall and St Mary's Abbey remains (Formerly Listed as: MUSEUM GARDENS The Yorkshire Museum & Temple Anderson Hall (incl. Medieval Cellar..))

GV I

Museum and Lecture Hall, incorporating St Mary's Abbey remains in basement. Abbey remains comprise vestiges of late C12 Chapter House vestibule screen and vaulting shafts 1298-1307, late C13 slype, early C14 parlour and late C14 Warming House. Museum built 1827-29, lecture hall dated 1912, both with later alterations. Museum by William Wilkins, lecture hall by E Ridsdale Tate, both for the Yorkshire Philosophical Society. MATERIALS: museum of ashlar, Tempest Anderson Hall of shuttered concrete; museum roof of slate, shallow pitched, partly glazed, with stone stacks. EXTERIOR: museum: 1-storey 9-bay front on low plinth with pedimented tetrastyle portico of fluted Greek Doric columns on stepped podium. Central double doors of 6 sunk panels in moulded surround with cornice hood on scroll brackets. Windows flanking doors are narrow 8-pane sashes, elsewhere 12-pane sashes over moulded sill band, all in architraves with cornice hoods. Boldly projecting cornice across full width of front and portico beneath parapet masking roof. Plaque within portico records that "The Yorkshire Philosophical Society transferred the Yorkshire Museum and Gardens to the Citizens of York on Jan. 2nd 1961." Tempest Anderson Hall: entrance front of 2 storeys 7 bays with basement to 2 left end bays with 1-storey 1-bay projecting porch on high plinth towards right end. Front and right return articulated in giant order Doric pilasters and antae carrying full entablature and parapet. Porch similarly articulated with heavy moulded cornice to flat roof. Steps up to porch lead to panelled double doors beneath flat canopy on scroll brackets in left return: front has small-pane window in eared architrave with moulded sill flanked by pilasters. Irregular fenestration reflects variable floor levels. One basement window altered to square bay with plate glazing, remainder are of 2 mullioned small-pane lights with metal glazing bars. Upper windows are generally 1-pane fixed lights, some with transoms, in moulded architraves with moulded sills over sunk-panel aprons. At right end of cornice, integral rainwater goods have hopper initialled TA, dated 1912. INTERIOR: of Museum. Basement galleries contain a reconstruction of the Chapter House vestibule of St Mary's Abbey incorporating remains of the original. Triple arched

entrance screen had piers carved with chevron and stiff-leaf mouldings and detached shafts with waterhold bases and spurs: vaulting piers have alternately filleted and keeled shafts and roll-moulded bases. Base courses of the slype incorporate a wallbench and remains of 4 buttresses with attached shafts with moulded bases and capitals; base courses of north wall of parlour incorporates bases of vaulting shafts. In a separate room, the hearth, one moulded jamb and a carved corbel head to the lintel of the Warming House fireplace survive. On ground and first floors, altered interior retains 4-bay central area colonnaded in giant order Composite columns and responds supporting ceiling coffered with beams enriched with guilloche and egg-and-dart mouldings: ceiling panels behind colonnades contain moulded rosettes. Staircase to first floor has open string, stick balusters, serpentine handrail and turned newels on shaped curtail steps. Temple Anderson Hall was first listed 24/06/83. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 12-13; 44-45; Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 68).



Listing NGR: SE5995752133

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 12-13
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 44-45
Murray, H, Riddick, S, Green, R, York Through the Eyes of the Artist, (1990), 68

National Grid Reference: SE 59965 52135

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257100 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 01:54:42.

End of official listing