Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257110

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1971

Statutory Address: 37, CHURCH STREET


Ordnance survey map of 37, CHURCH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 17:34:48.


Statutory Address: 37, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Maldon

National Grid Reference: TL 85646 06783


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL8506NE CHURCH STREET 574-1/10/11 (North side) 24/09/71 No.37


House. C16 and early C17. Timber-framed with part of front of rendered brick and otherwise rendered with some imitation timber-framing. Roof of plain tiles with ridgeline lower at east end. Central stack. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics and modern extensions to rear. Front has 2 windows with 16-pane sashes on each floor. West gable has applied imitation framing and a 4-light C20 small-paned casement on each floor. Ground floor also has a fixed window of 6 panes. The east flank has a 2-light C20 casement on 1st floor and a C20 16-pane sash on ground floor. Parallel 2-storey range with slacker-pitched plain tile roof, probably C18, to rear and C20 flat-roofed single-storey rear extension. INTERIOR: former open-hall house with service cross-wing, of C16, surviving at east end. This has soffit-tenoned floor joists, jowled posts, and evidence for service doors and central ground-floor partition. Roof is of simple collared rafter type and is of small span. East flank has repaired remains of window with hollow-chamfered mullions, rebated for glazing and mortices for intermediate small bars. Central C17 stack, much altered at base, but with remnant of mantel beam. Western part is a 2-storied rebuilding of late C16/ early C17 with substantial spine and bridging joists, all with variants of lambs-tongue stops with additional roll mouldings and scalloped decoration. Similar structure at first floor to support attic. Roof is of considerable interest having a clasped side purlin in rear slope and joggled side purlins in front slope, all of one build. The joggled side purlin was to allow for a dormer in front roof slope and the soffit of this trimming purlin is chamfered with lambs-tongue stops. This large single bay of timber-framing was 'open' at western side presumably against a now missing pre-existing cross-wing. (RCHME: Essex Central and South-west: London: 1921-: 177:16).

Listing NGR: TL8564606783


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464235

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 177

End of official listing