BEELEIGH STEAM MILL AND BRIDGE OVER TAIL RACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1257130

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1971

Statutory Address: BEELEIGH STEAM MILL AND BRIDGE OVER TAIL RACE, ABBEY TURNING

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEELEIGH STEAM MILL AND BRIDGE OVER TAIL RACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257130 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 11:24:11.

Location

Statutory Address: BEELEIGH STEAM MILL AND BRIDGE OVER TAIL RACE, ABBEY TURNING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Maldon

National Grid Reference: TL 83969 08192

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALDON

TL80NW ABBEY TURNING, Beeleigh 574-1/1/233 (North East side) 24/09/71 Beeleigh Steam Mill and bridge over tail race

GV II*

Steam mill, ruins of water mill and bridge. Early C19. The steam mill is of a mixture of red and cream Gault brick with a hipped slate roof with blue clay ridge and hip tiles. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with embellished elevations to NE and SE towards Beeleigh Falls House (qv). The SW elevation is part of Gault and part of red brick with a series of circular tie-bar plates. A large semicircular-arched opening faces onto a sunken external area, providing access to the engine which is visible within. Door opening with segmental head and further small openings now blocked or concealed by ivy. The short NW elevation is of Gault brick with a central small segmental-arched opening with cast-iron window of 24 small panes. On the north corner is the base of a former chimney, now truncated, which wraps around on to the NE elevation. The NE elevation has 4 broad semicircular-arched recesses with similar 24-pane iron windows to the lower storey. The SE elevation is similar, but with cast-iron windows to both storeys, and of 2 semicircular-arched recesses. The remains of the water mill to the SW consist of a rectangular enclosure of walling of varying height with some Gault and some red brick. Some former door and window openings survive and 2 large chambers for former breast-shot water wheels and 2 barge docks for unloading flour and grain. To the SE is a bridge now giving access to former mill house, Beeleigh Falls (qv), with red brick parapets, stone copings and 2 semicircular arches. INTERIOR: the steam mill is divided into 2 compartments, separated by a brick partition. The smaller north-western part is open to full height and contains the complete iron, double-acting compound steam engine of 1845, by Wendworth. Alongside is an 'Elephant' boiler with 2 safety valves and firebox. The ground-floor chamber in the main body of the building contains an iron upright shaft with great spur wheel, the driving machinery and a circular-plan iron husting. Designed to house 5 pairs of stones, the emplacements and upper ends of drive spindles remain on the upper floor. The former watermill was a large 5-storeyed weatherboarded mill with 12 pairs of stones and 2 water wheels, and was destroyed by fire in 1879.

Listing NGR: TL8396908192

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464213

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing