This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE AND LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE AND LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1257226

Location

ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE AND LIBRARY, BANK STREET
ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE AND LIBRARY, MARKET STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464098

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List Entry was subjected to a Minor Amendment on 15/12/2016

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8571SE BANK STREET 1012-1/13/171 (East side) 22/03/83 Adult Education Centre and Library

GV II

Formerly known as: Passmore Edwards Public Library, Science, Art and Technical School TEIGNBRIDGE. Includes: Adult Education Centre and Library MARKET STREET. Library and Science, Art and Technical School, now Adult Education Centre and Library. 1901-1904. By Silvanus Trevail, a Cornish architect. MATERIALS: squared Devon limestone rubble with yellow ceramic dressings to Bank Street and Market Street facades, cream English-bond brick to rear and left return, crested slate roofs with moulded stacks to ends and rear, and some incorporated into the pilasters on the facade. PLAN: L-plan on corner site with a canted corner bay. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 16-window range with 10 windows to the left and 5 to the right of the main entrance in a canted corner bay. Ground, first and second-floor cornices, the lower ones and a plinth are continuous. The upper floors are articulated by panelled pilasters with finials corbelled out above the lower cornice. Semi-elliptical heads to the panes of mullioned and transomed windows, mostly cross-windows. The second floor is elaborate with a variety of cross windows, triangular and curved pediments, Gibbs surrounds, swags and finials. The majority of first-floor windows are paired or triple cross windows below an ornamental frieze and cornice, ceramic panels with the name of the building forming aprons. Similar windows to the ground floor; to the inside-left is a pedimented doorcase over a segmental arch and panelled double doors. The main corner entrance has a semicircular-arched window with timber mullions and transom to the second floor set in a Gibbs surround under a pediment with highly ornamented carving with figures representing Art and Learning. A 3-light first-floor window is over a semicircular fanlight with radial glazing bars and double panelled doors flanked by paired pilasters with blocking extending to form a Gibbs surround to the doorcase. INTERIOR: mosaic hall floor, some panelled oak doors, panelling below a Jacobean-style open-well closed-string staircase with moulded square balusters and newels with pendants, ornamental leaded stair window and half-glazed double inner doors with a large semicircular fanlight remain. HISTORY: the building was a gift to Newton Abbot from Passmore Edwards, a noted public benefactor, in memory of his mother. The site known as Harvey's Corner had been acquired by the County for road improvements. The cost of building the free library was »2,290. The gift of »2,500 possibly included fixtures, fittings and books. Public subscriptions and a grant from the County Council paid for the Technical School. A typical but flamboyant example of the style adopted by Trevail for the Passmore Edwards libraries. One of this distinguished Cornish architect's last commissions and completed after his death in 1903 by his assistant Alfred Cornelius. Only the clock turret was omitted from Trevail's original design. (BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 591; Jones R: A Book of Newton Abbot: Callington: 1979-: 131; Eddy K: The Beginnings of the Public Library Service in Newton Abbot: 1970-).

Listing NGR: SX8577371317

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Eddy, K, The Beginnings of the Public Library Service in Newton Abbot, (1970)
Jones, R, A Book of Newton Abbot, (1979), 131
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 591

National Grid Reference: SX 85773 71317

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257226 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 07:31:16.

End of official listing