MINSTER SONG SCHOOL (PART)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257229

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: MINSTER SONG SCHOOL (PART), MINSTER YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINSTER SONG SCHOOL (PART)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257229 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 13:30:39.

Location

Statutory Address: MINSTER SONG SCHOOL (PART), MINSTER YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60428 52078

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW MINSTER YARD 1112-1/27/711 (East side) 14/06/54 Minster Song School (part)

GV II

Formerly known as: The Song School MINSTER YARD. School. 1830-33; late C19 and C20 alterations. By C Watson and JP Pritchett for the Dean and Chapter. Magnesian limestone ashlar with slate and stone slate roofs and ashlar octagonal stacks with coved cornices. STYLE: Gothick. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay centre range behind 1-storey 3-bay arcade, flanked by 2-storey gabled crosswings: 1-storey parallel crosswing at left end. Arcade contains three double chamfered 4-centred arches beneath coved head-stopped hoods with double doors of diamond latticed ogee-headed lights and linenfold panelling. Crosswings have embattled octagonal turrets, moulded and chamfered plinths and full height windows of five cinquefoiled lights in double hollow chamfered surrounds with traceried 4-centred heads. Moulded sillstring encircles turrets. Upper storey windows are of paired cinquefoiled lights in square-headed hollow chamfered openings with hollow chamfered mullions. All windows have coved hoods with return stops. All parts have embattled parapet with moulded coping, over coved eaves string. 1-storey gabled wing has window of 2 round-headed lights in square-headed double hollow chamfered opening and quatrefoil above. Rear: 2-storey 5-bay front, end bays gabled: articulated 1:3:1 by pilaster buttresses surmounted by octagonal turrets with moulded caps: right end bays obscured by 1-storey parallel range. End bay first floor windows are of 3 lights with intersecting tracery in 4-centred heads: other windows are paired, tripled or quadrupled lancets with pivoting diamond leaded lights in square-headed surrounds: all are double hollow chamfered. Moulded string course beneath coped parapet, crow-stepped in centre and supporting paired octagonal stacks. Gabled 1-storey range has triple lancet window in chamfered surround with 4-centred head. INTERIOR: ground floor doorways are 4-centred and hollow chamfered: some have shaped panelled doors. Braced roof trusses, filled with panel tracery, rise from carved enriched corbels: wallplate carved with blank shields. Building was built originally to house St Peter's School. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 104).

Listing NGR: SE6042852078

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464101

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 104

End of official listing