Monument to John Swan in Abney Park Cemetery

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257265
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington High Street, London, N16 0LH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Monument to John Swan in Abney Park Cemetery
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257265 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 19:50:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington High Street, London, N16 0LH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hackney (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33451 86801

Details

TQ 3386 735/12/10055

STOKE NEWINGTON HIGH STREET, N16 (west side) Monument to John Swan in Abney Park Cemetery

GV II Monument to John Swan (1787-1869). White marble pedestal surmounted by a draped urn; overgrown with ivy at time of inspection in 1997. Millward, mason. Of historical interest on account of the inscription which claims that 'few men have been greater benefactors to their country than the late John Swan. He was the original inventor of the "screw propeller "in the year '24, as now used in HMS, and published by the late Dr Birkbeck, in the Mechanics Register of the same date. The Deceased was also the inventor of the "self acting chain messenger" introduced into the navy in 1831, a saving to the nation of about £70,000 a year. Admiral Dundas frankly compensed that it was a very great saving both of money and men's lives and that the inventor deserved every encouragement, but unfortunately by some means or other the "ingenious and modest inventor" as he was styled by Dr Birkbeck never received the slightest remuneration.'

Listing NGR: TQ3345186801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464053
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].