This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1257285



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464030

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE5951NE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/15/669 (North side) 14/06/54 Nos.88 AND 90 Micklegate House, and attached railings and lamp brackets (Formerly Listed as: MICKLEGATE Nos.88 AND 90 Micklegate House) (Formerly Listed as: MICKLEGATE Railings and lamp brackets of Nos 88 and 90)


Town house with railings and lamp brackets attached to front. Dated 1752, with C19 and C20 alteration and extension. For Sir John Bourchier of Beningbrough, probably by John Carr. MATERIALS: front of orange-red brick in Flemish bond on stone-faced basement; rusticated quoins and doorcase of painted stone: rear of buff-pink brick with orange-red brick dressings. Dentil eaves band beneath projecting modillion cornice of timber; slate roof with brick stacks. Railings and lamp brackets of wrought-iron on low plinth of moulded stone. EXTERIOR: basement and 3 storeys; 7-bay front, three centre bays pedimented and breaking forward. Pedimented doorcase of detached Corinthian columns in centre has door of 6 raised and fielded panels with radial overlight in rusticated round-arched surround with moulded imposts. At right end is panelled service door with divided overlight. Both doors approached by steps, those to front door shaped and with anthemion pattern bootscrapers. Windows are sashes, of 12 panes on ground and first floors, 6 panes on second floor, all beneath gauged brick arches with stone fasciated keyblocks. Sill bands to ground and first floor windows; raised bands of painted stone to first and second floors. Rear: basement and 3 storeys. Central round-arched radial-glazed staircase window between ground and first floors. Remaining windows are sashes, 12- or 6-paned, with brick arches and stone sills. Raised brick bands to first and second floors. Moulded cornice. Dated rainwater goods, stamped with the initials JMB and the Bourchier crest. INTERIOR: cellars: brick vaulted. In one room, second kitchen fireplace and bread oven survive. Ground floor. Entrance hall: stone-flagged floor; moulded dado rail; carved marble fireplace; plaster panelled ceiling with enriched modillion cornice. Panelled round arch with moulded imposts leads to stairhall at rear. Left front room: dado rail, panelled walls and enriched cornice; marble fireplace with fluted frieze and cornice shelf beneath bolection moulded

overmantel. Eared doorcases, with pulvinated friezes and dentilled cornices. Right front room: fitted cupboards and drawers. Staircase hall: stone-flagged floor. Open string main staircase to first floor has cantilevered stairs with three balusters, alternately turned, fluted and twisted, to each tread, and moulded serpentine handrail, wreathed at foot around turned newel. Matching ramped-up dado panelling. Staircase window is round-headed radial-glazed sash in Ionic arch on fluted pilasters. Secondary staircase to second floor has turned balusters and ramped-up moulded handrail. Left rear room: moulded marble fireplace and firegrate with pulvinated frieze beneath bolection-moulded overmantel. Alcove cupboard with C19 glazed doors to right of fireplace. Painted glass inserts in windows by William Peckett. Right rear room: segment-arched kitchen fireplace. First floor. Stairwell: enriched modillion cornice. Ceiling of plaster panels enriched with arabesques of leaves and tendrils, and medallions containing busts in relief. Pedimented doorcases on landing are later replacements. Left front room: moulded plaster ceiling, cut by inserted partition wall: central panel of dog and crane in relief, framed in asymmetrical scrolls and foliage, and four corner panels each enclosing a relief moulded head. Left rear room: panelling; fitted drawers. Roof. 4 numbered principal rafter trusses with notched and pegged joints. Cross-gabled roof at rear renewed. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings are swept up front steps to doorcase with palmette bootscraper at each side. Railings are of square section with barbed spear tips and incorporate scrollwork panels with twisted finials. Doorcase is flanked by elaborate scrolled lamp brackets with rinceaux. (RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: 85-86).

Listing NGR: SE5985451600

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 85-86

National Grid Reference: SE 59854 51600


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257285 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 05:43:10.

End of official listing