114, MICKLEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257302

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1968

Statutory Address: 114, MICKLEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 114, MICKLEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257302 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 06:51:49.

Location

Statutory Address: 114, MICKLEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59806 51558

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5951NE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/15/679 (North side) 01/07/68 No.114

GV II

House. Late C17; third storey added and shopfront fitted in late C19; further C19 and C20 alterations. MATERIALS: lower storeys of orange brick in Flemish bond, third storey of darker orange brick; rear wing of reddish brick in stretcher bond, with brick coping and kneelers to gable end; left return of mottled brick; right return rendered. Timber eaves band and bracketed cornice between moulded consoles capped with gablets; slate roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. Shopfront of plain pilasters beneath frieze and moulded cornice interrupted by moulded consoles capped with gablets; glazed shop door and overlight to right of 4-light shop window over panelled riser. Windows on first and second floors are 8-pane sashes with painted stone sills and flat arches, those on second floor cambered. Broad raised band at second floor level. Rear: gabled wing of 2 storeys and attic, partly obscured by later building. Attic window is 2x9-pane horizontal sliding sash beneath segmental brick arch. Right return: part of painted sign advertising Whitby Olivers' furnishing store survives. INTERIOR: not inspected: RCHM records close string staircase with turned balusters and flat handrail ramped-up to square newels. Between the lower floors, the staircase is lit by a 2-light window with original mullion and high transom. On the first floor, the larger front room is lined with fielded panelling with dado rail, and cornice. Fireplace has early C19 marble surround. A room at the back retains an C18 moulded fireplace surround. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was the birthplace in 1803 of Joseph Aloysius Hansom, architect and inventor of the hansom cab and remained in the possession of his family until c1880. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 92-93).

Listing NGR: SE5979351558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464048

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 92-93

End of official listing