This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

EDMUNSBURY AND STABLE BLOCK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EDMUNSBURY AND STABLE BLOCK

List entry Number: 1257315

Location

EDMUNSBURY AND STABLE BLOCK, BEVERLEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kingston upon Thames

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464018

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 27 SW BEVERLEY LANE

59/2/10033 Edmundsbury and stable block

GV II

House. 1928-30. Blunden Shadbolt, architect, for Mr and Mrs Hird with later alterations by Waterhouse and Ripley (1935), for Captain Barclay. Exposed, re-used timber and red brick; tiled roof Two main ranges, each of three storeys. Tall chimney stacks. Sweeping gabled roof North front: tall gabled range on left hand side by Shadbolt; extension to right, 1935, by Waterhouse and Ripley. The left hand range has an exposed timber 'frame', scattered fenestration with large mullioned window openings and leaded casement. The upper part of the gable overhangs the upper window. The extension to the right has a steep roof to match the existing range, with dormers of various sizes. The entrance to the house consists of oak double doors flanked by round-headed casement windows with leaded panes. West front: formed by the gable end of secondary range, with shallow projecting stack containing arched opening at ground floor level showing two windows. This elevation looks out over a sunken garden with flagged walkways, circular and semi-circular basins, niches in the walls and geometric compartments formed by low hedges. South front: sweeping roof with dormer; two unequal gables, one tile-hung, one with exposed timber and brick. Originally both were rendered. Left-hand gable has one large window opening; the right-hand gable has a single window on the second floor and three on the first floor. A large opening on the ground floor opens out onto a terrace with a high buttressed wall from which steps lead down to the garden, with stepped coped wall. East front: striking catslide roof through which a gable end emerges, with exposed timber beams and four-light mullioned window with leaded panes. Two dormers high up in the roof INTERIOR: Triple-arched screen leads to a double-height entrance hall with oak panelling throughout. Stone fireplace in corner, timber door jambs with carved wooden spandrel in sunburst design. Stairs in corner lead to gallery with splat balusters. The gallery gives access to bifocated flight of stairs leading to attic rooms. Simple oak handrail and newels. Bedrooms on second floor have exposed timber beams in ceilings and walls, cupboards fitted with oak doors and iron hinges and bolts, and oak window frames; tiled sills. Exposed brick fire surrounds with heavy carved beams for mantelpieces. Ground floor: dining room and former library facing south have large openings for fires, one brick lined with metal hood; one built-out to form a curved hearth like a beehive, in red brick and Roman tiles. Exposed ceiling beams. Drawing room: stone balustrade and steps lead down into the room. On west wall, a large stone fire-surround with carved Coat of Arms inscribed: 'IN CRUCE SPERO -CEDENT ARMA -IN HAC VINCE'. Stable block, east of house, by Waterhouse and Ripley, 1936. Open circle in plan; single-storey, of re-used red brick. Shaped gable above entrance; vaulted ceiling with door to hay loft. Thatched roof. Original doors to horse boxes and saddle rooms. HISTORICAL NOTE: Blunden Shadbolt (1879-1941) lived and practised in Surrey. His buildings are typical of the 'Surrey' style in that they embody a fusion of the local vernacular as seen in sixteenth and seventeenth century farmhouses, and the love of Arts and Crafts use of traditional materials, beautifully detailed. 'Edmundsbury' is typical of his work in the re-use of old timber, brick and tile but brought together in an original and idiosyncratic building. The extension is in the spirit of the original house. SOURCE: 'The Thirties Society Journal' No.3 (1982), article on Shadbolt by Donald Campbell.



Listing NGR: TQ2140570160

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Thirties Society Journal' in The Thirties Society Journal, (1982)

National Grid Reference: TQ 21405 70160

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257315 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 12:35:28.

End of official listing