CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257355

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1996

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257355 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 10:11:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 32516 97971

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSBY

SJ39NW PARK ROAD 778-1/3/112 (South side) 26/03/73 Church of St Mary the Virgin (Formerly Listed as: PARK ROAD Church of St Mary)

II

Church. 1877-86, by WG Habershon; nave extended 1907. Coursed rock-faced red sandstone with yellow sandstone dressings, blue slate roofs with green slate bands. STYLE: Gothic with some Early English features. PLAN: cruciform plan with uncompleted crossing tower, north and south aisles extended to link with early C20 narthex at west end. EXTERIOR: the tall 3-bay nave, with pilasters, has segmental-pointed clerestory windows of 3 cusped lights, and in the west gable (above the added narthex) a tall stepped 3-light west window with deep double-chamfered reveals. The aisles, now of 5 bays, with sturdy buttresses which have 2 offsets, has windows of two 2-centred arched lights with set-in shafts and hoodmoulds with foliated stops. The narthex at the west end (dated 1907) has in its north side a 2-centred arched double-chamfered doorway framed by Perpendicular-style pilasters, and in the west front 2 similar entrances. The transepts, which are almost as tall as the nave, have angle buttresses and large stepped 3-light windows in their gable walls, with slender shafts and 2 orders of moulding. The chancel has one narrow lancet in the north side (the south side covered by later additions), and a large 3-light east window like those of the transepts. The crossing tower, rising only slightly above the nave and transepts, has small lancets near the corners, and a stepped embattled parapet in lighter masonry. INTERIOR: painted brick walls; 3-bay arcades of quatrefoil columns with shafts, 2-centred arches stepped rather than chamfered; similar arch at west end, open to narthex; tall double-chamfered crossing arches rising from clustered piers, and pulpit integrated with the north-eastern pier; hammerbeam roof trusses rising from large moulded and foliated corbels; chancel with organ and piscina in north wall, sedilia in south wall.

Listing NGR: SJ3251697971

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463974

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing