1112-1/28/642 (South side)
19/08/71 Nos.33, 35 AND 37
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.35 AND 37)
House, now two shops and offices. Late C17 in origin;
remodelled in early C18, when front range was added;
subdivided and altered c1812; further alteration in C20.
Original house possibly for Anthony Wharton; alterations of
c1812 by Peter Atkinson junior.
MATERIALS: front of orange-red brick in English garden-wall
bond, with painted and plastered eaves band; modillion eaves
cornice of painted timber; coped left gable, and brick stacks
at rear of tiled roof. Rear wings of orange-red brick in
Flemish bond, with added 3rd storey to wing behind No.37 of
mottled brick in irregular bond; pantile roofs; C17 openings
had flat arches of gauged brick.
EXTERIOR: front of 2 storeys and attic; 5-windows. Paired
shopfronts on ground floor. Left one has plain pilasters and
dentil cornice, rising to gablet at left end over 4-panel
upper floor entrance door beneath blocked overlight: glazed
double shop doors recessed between half-canted plate glass
shop windows. To right, shopfront of sunk panel pilasters with
modillion cornice and plain fascia board: door of 8 raised and
fielded panels with overlight to left, and margin-glazed shop
door with patterned fanlight between small-pane windows. First
floor windows are 12-pane sashes with slender glazing bars and
flat arches of gauged brick. Three flat topped dormers with
2x6-pane sliding sashes, and one roof light, to attic.
Rear: wing to Nos 33 and 35: 3 storeys, 1 window gable wall.
Open doorway with divided overlight leads to through passage.
C20 windows on each floor, attic one in altered opening with
pilaster jambs. 3-course raised band to first floor, and
moulded brick cornice beneath attic, both returned along wing
at rear of No.37. Wing to No.37: 2-storey 2-window return,
with 3-storey 4-bay block to left. 2-storey part has blocked
C17 oval window in brick surround on ground floor left; other
windows small-pane sliding sashes, with inserted hung sash on
first floor. Portion of parapet survives above eaves cornice.
3-storey part has left of centre door of 6 panels in glazed
screen, beneath half-elliptical fanlight patterned with vine
leaves and rinceaux in wrought-iron. Ground and first floor
windows altered; those on third floor 4-pane sashes with
cambered arches, left end one blocked.
INTERIOR: No.33 on first floor: front room fitted with full
height raised panelling, and moulded cornice, subdivided by
sunk panelled partitions. Blocked chimney breast with rinceaux
frieze and blank overmantel framed in plaster moulded garland
of roses. Panelling and overmantel bolection moulded. C17
fittings survive in rear room, including 3-panel door on
original hinges, full height panelling and moulded cornice.
Blocked fireplace with overmantel flanked by dwarf pilasters
with moulded imposts; similar pilasters form jambs to altered
window. Altered staircase around square newel retains late C17
column-on-vase balusters and heavy moulded handrail in attic.
Hob grate in plain fireplace in front room. Studded partition
wall to rear room.
No.37, ground floor: glazed and panelled screen at rear of
front room, in fluted frame with lion mask paterae. Stairhall
flanked by Doric column and pilaster. Open string staircase
with hollow-sided stick balusters, serpentine moulded
handrail, wreathed at foot around turned newel.
Balustrade continues around stairwell on first floor.
Radial-glazed staircase window beneath round arch on fluted
pilasters with moulded imposts. First floor front room: marble
fireplace with angle roundels, no grate; moulded skirting and
dado rail, fluted frieze beneath moulded cornice, and ceiling
rose of acanthus leaves; panelled reveals to door and window
openings. Rear wing: late C19 firegrate in angle fireplace,
and hob grate in plain surround in huge chimney breast; back
room has hob grate. Third floor back room has oversize plaster
frieze on a deep shelf carried on timber pegs and cast-iron
brackets, depicting Greek processional figures, playing
musical instruments. Hob grate in plain fireplace.
Peter Atkinson junior lived at No.37 for about 15 years from
1812; later it was occupied by Sir William Stephenson Clark,
Surgeon, and Lord Mayor of York 1839.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE6004151614