GENERAL POST OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257470
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
GENERAL POST OFFICE, 22, LENDAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GENERAL POST OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257470.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 20:37:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
GENERAL POST OFFICE, 22, LENDAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60133 51937

Details

YORK

SE6051NW LENDAL 1112-1/28/552 (South West side) No.22 General Post Office

GV II

Post office. Dated 1884; late C20 alteration. By H Tanner. Orange brick in Flemish bond on moulded plinth of sandstone ashlar; frontispiece, dressings and copings of ashlar; slate roof with terracotta cresting, brick panelled stacks and ogee-capped cupola with finials. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay range, two intermediate bays gabled; 2-storey crosswing to right, 3-storey crosswing to left, both gabled and projecting slightly; at left end, one 3-storey bay. Plinth incorporates blocked square-headed basement openings. Central 1-storey frontispiece framed in diagonally set buttresses with corbelled-out heads beneath fascia with 'POST OFFICE' carved in relief: original entrance, now blocked, in segment-headed moulded surround ornamented with Tudor flower bosses. Flanking windows and those on second floor are of 2 lights, intermediate windows on second floor rising into gables. Original rainwater goods have blind Gothick-arcaded hoppers on stone brackets. Ground floor of right crosswing treated as screen of ashlar with stepped-up hoodmould. Doorway has panelled double doors in moulded surround with 4-centred head and foliate spandrels, beneath carved ribbon with incised legend AD ERECTED 1884 and band of blind trefoiled panels. On either side are tall 2-light windows. First floor window is of 3 lights, beneath stopped hoodmould and segmental relieving arch. Left crosswing has ground floor windows of 2 and 3 cinquefoiled lights grouped beneath common hoodmould: on first floor, 3-light oriel with moulded sill and cornice between tall 1-light windows: on second floor, 5-light window beneath stopped hood. End left bay has panelled folding doors in square-headed hollow chamfered doorway with 4-centred arch on 2 orders of jamb shafts with moulded capitals and blind traceried spandrels. First and second floor windows are of 2 lights, first floor one taller. Windows are mullioned, some transomed, generally 1-pane sashes, in ashlar square-headed quoined surrounds with sloped sills. Full width moulded string and band beneath first floor windows. Moulded eaves coping continued across left crosswing and end bay as second floor string course. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE6013351937

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463818
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05116/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur B. Bellwood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].