This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 10, 12 AND 14 AND CARRIAGE GATES ATTACHED TO NUMBER 14

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 10, 12 AND 14 AND CARRIAGE GATES ATTACHED TO NUMBER 14

List entry Number: 1257491

Location

NUMBERS 10, 12 AND 14 AND CARRIAGE GATES ATTACHED TO NUMBER 14, 10, 12 AND 14, LENDAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463811

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 6051 NW YORK LENDAL (Southwest side) 1112-1/28/549 Nos.10, 12 and 14 and Carriage 14.06.1954 Gates attached to No.14

GV II*

Alternatively known as: Nos.11, 13 AND 15 LENDEL. Pair of houses; now bank, shop and offices: carriage gates attached to rear of carriageway beneath No.14. Houses early C18; converted to offices and shops c1880; No.12 converted to bank 1959. Carriage gates c1890. MATERIALS: orange-brown brick in Flemish bond; Nos 10-12 have ashlar doorcase and porch in ground floor of reconstituted stone. Front eaves cornice of timber, at rear plain brick parapet with stone coping: double span roof, tiled at front, slate at rear, with truncated brick stacks, one rendered. One gable to rear range is shaped. 2 gabled dormers with 4-pane sash windows to Nos 10-12. Wrought-iron gates. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 8-window front. To right of centre, Tuscan porch with fluted frieze and angle roundels has double doors of raised panels bordered in flutes and paterae beneath radial fanlight, in round-arched architrave with imposts. Ground floor on either side is pilastered with plain fascia and moulded cornice; to left of porch, margin-glazed windows are set in square-headed recesses; to right, entrance to No.10 is door of 6 beaded panels with patterned overlight in similar recess. Left end of No.14 altered to provide flat-arched carriageway flanked by Tuscan columns and antae. Shopfront has canted plate glass window with blocked clerestory retaining arched glazing bar, between recessed doorways, one altered to window, one with glazed and panelled door, both beneath tall small-pane overlights. First floor windows are 4-pane sashes to Nos 10-12, 12-pane sashes to No.14; all second floor windows are squat 4-pane sashes. All windows have segmental arches of brick and painted stone sills. Raised band to second floor. Dentil and modillion eaves cornice with rainwater head dated 1774 in centre, and fallpipe on ornate clamps embossed with blank cartouche in a Corinthian arch. Gates at rear of carriageway are of slim railings shaped into bands of Art Nouveau motifs. Rear: 3 storeys and basement; 7 windows. Basement windows to No.14 have 1-course segmental brick arches and brick sills. Upper floor windows are segment-arched 4-pane sashes in altered openings, with tall round-headed 8-pane sash at left end of first floor. Raised brick bands to first and second floors. INTERIOR: of No.10. Ground floor: stairhall has dentil cornice: open-string staircase to first floor, with sunk-panel treadends, turned balusters and serpentine moulded handrail, swept at foot onto turned newel on shaped curtail step: stairwell lined with raised and fielded dado panelling terminating in paired fluted pilasters. Staircase window has splayed opening with seat. First floor: landing has plaster ceiling with sloped cornice enriched with acanthus and paterae, and bolection moulded panels framing oval centre panel: doorcase reveals of raised and fielded panelling. Door to front room is of 6 panels bordered in flutes and roundels. Front room door and window architraves are fluted, with angle paterae or roundels; doorcase has shell and festoon frieze, and moulded cornice; windows have panelled shutters: plaster ceiling has acanthus leaf cornice, and foliate centre panel surrounded by looped wheatear trails and medallions with masks: shelf on shaped brackets encircles room. Rear room has beaded panel door, moulded dado rail, and fireplace in bolection-moulded surround with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice shelf: early C18 door of raised and fielded panels leads to closet in corner with front room. Replacement staircase to second floor has open string, shaped treadends, turned balusters and serpentine handrail wreathed at foot around newel on shaped curtail step. Second floor: front and back rooms to left have ceilings coffered with moulded spine beams with plaster leaf moulding in each corner; front room has plain fireplace; rear room fireplace similar to that in room below. In rear room, 3-panel door on plank backing and H-hinge leads to fireside closet. 3-panel door on landing leads to attic. Attic has lime ash floors. Interior of No.12: RCHM record "moulded jambs of a C15 doorway... presumably from the Augustinian Friary".

Interior of No 14 (Robson & Cooper) retains most of its original features including some panelling and a fireplace to rear ground floor, plus original shutters to rear windows. A large continuous string staircase with turned balusters and a moulded hand rail to the first floor. First floor has single rear room with complete early C18 panelling, fireplace, shutters, doors and plaster coving. Landing has fine set of round headed doorways with moulded surround and keystones, plus linking ramped dado panelling. Main front room has plaster coving, shutters and single round headed doorway in moulded surround. Small front room has original corner fireplace, dado panelling and original panelled doors. Fine original staircase to second floor with 2 turned balusters per tread, ramped and moulded handrail and matching dado panelling, plus round headed doors. Second floor rooms have original doors, corner fireplaces and coving. Small stair to attic. HISTORICAL NOTE: c1870, No.10 became the office of JB and W Atkinson, direct successors of the architect John Carr of York. James Demaine became a partner in 1877, Walter Brierley in 1886 on the death of W Atkinson. The successors of this partnership are still in occupation at these premises, at the time of survey. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 155).



Listing NGR: SE6007051966

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 155

National Grid Reference: SE 60089 51967

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257491 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 05:29:05.

End of official listing