30, LAWRENCE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257502

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: 30, LAWRENCE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 30, LAWRENCE STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257502 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 19:40:16.

Location

Statutory Address: 30, LAWRENCE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 61124 51316

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6151SW LAWRENCE STREET 1112-1/23/533 (South side) 13/06/88 No.30

GV II

Flax mill, now disused warehouse and offices. c1804 for Stabler, Marshall & Co. (RCHM); additions of c1825 and c1835 for John Swale; C20 alterations. Brindled brick, sheet asbestos roof. EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 10-bay mill of c1804 extended, to north, by 5-bay warehouse of c1825 and to south by 4-storey 15-bay mill of c1835. The latter has a 3-storey 4-bay boiler house projecting from its east side. West side: 3-storey range has 1960 addition to bays 1 and 2; through-passage to bay 5; various C20 casements with projecting stone sills and segmental brick arches (some openings altered); truncated stack on left and eaves stack near centre. 4-storey range has similar openings with little alteration; lavatory tower to bay 1, above which rises an octagonal chimney. East side: similar although with large openings of later date to ground floor. Boiler house: Bricked-up round arch on left of large C20 opening; original fenestration to drying rooms above has multi-pane iron casements; truncated chimney stack to rear-left corner. INTERIOR: of 4-storey part: cast-iron columns and girders support transverse brick arches; stone-flagged upper floors; queen-post roof trusses. HISTORICAL NOTE: Stabler, Marshall and Co became bankrupt in 1816; the premises were sold to John Swale who continued to spin flax by steam power until c1850. A fire of 1825 may have instigated the construction of the 4-storey mill. Powered flax-spinning machinery was patented by Kendrew and Porthouse in 1787 and Lawrence Street mill is amongst the earliest buildings to have exploited this technology as well as being the only steam-powered flax mill in York. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 81).



Listing NGR: SE6112451316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463782

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 81

End of official listing