This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE KINGS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE KINGS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1257523

Location

THE KINGS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, 1, KINGS STAITH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463761

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW KING'S STAITH 1112-1/28/522 (North East side) 24/06/83 No.1 The King's Arms Public House

GV II

Public house. Early C17; partly rebuilt and extended 1898; modernised 1973-4. Rebuilding of 1898 by Thomas Winn for Samuel Smith's Brewery. MATERIALS: front range rough-cast and whitewashed, with moulded cornice to sprocketed eaves and replica timber-framing on gable walls; slate roof at front, pantile at rear, with pierced cresting and barge-boarded gables. Wing rough-cast and white-washed, with slate roof, and moulded timber eaves cornice with scrolled wrought-iron brackets. Three stacks, two brick, one rendered. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay front, upper storey jettied on adjacent fronts to King's Staith and King Street. Original entrance to King's Staith now blocked by 2-light small-pane casement window. Flanking windows are similar, of 3-lights, and all have chamfered sills and lintels of painted stone. First floor windows are 2 x 4-pane lights in architraves with moulded sills. Lintel of ground floor centre window relief carved with date 1898 and initials SS. Moulded jetty plate to front and right return with dragon beam at corner. Entrance is C20 door in moulded surround in left return. Right return: 2-storey 2-window wing to right of jettied gable wall. Gable wall has 1-light first floor window with moulded sill, and 2-light attic window. In wing, ground floor window is 3-light casement with moulded sill and glass embossed with Art Nouveau motifs and 'OUSEBRIDGE INN' and 'SMOKE ROOM'. First floor windows are of 2 and 3 lights with plain sills, and upper floor has shaped panels of applied timber-framing. Windows in wing have moulded cornice hoods. INTERIOR: not inspected. The inn was known as the 'Ousebridge' between 1898 and 1974. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 151).



Listing NGR: SE6026851619

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 151

National Grid Reference: SE 60268 51619

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257523 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 01:59:18.

End of official listing