11 AND 12, HIGH OUSEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257624

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: 11 AND 12, HIGH OUSEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 11 AND 12, HIGH OUSEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257624 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:44:56.

Location

Statutory Address: 11 AND 12, HIGH OUSEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60376 51735

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW HIGH OUSEGATE 1112-1/28/443 (North side) 14/06/54 Nos.11 AND 12

GV II

Pair of houses, now shops and offices. c1705; C20 shopfronts retaining remnants of C19 front; refurbished 1992. For Samuel Buxton, grocer, Sheriff 1696-97. Stucco front, with massive timber cornice on shaped brackets; slate roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 9-bay front, upper floors articulated 4:1:4 by giant fluted Ionic pilasters supporting plain frieze and cornice which breaks forward over pilasters. Shopfronts incorporate Composite pilasters with shafts enriched with Art Nouveau carvings, and cornices between heavy console brackets incorporating initials, possibly of former shops. On upper floors, centre windows have moulded architraves, that on first floor with scrolls and pedimented cornice hood, that on second floor raised and with moulded sill. All first floor windows are tall 18-pane sashes, on second floor 12-pane sashes with painted sills. Flat-topped dormers to attic have 4-pane sashes. Raised band to second floor. Inverted bell rainwater heads, dated 1758, at each end of cornice, both initialled IEM, probably for John Mayer. INTERIOR: on first floor, moulded plaster ceiling cornice survives. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 147).





Listing NGR: SE6036951736

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463624

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 147

End of official listing