This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1257632



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463638

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6051NW HIGH OUSEGATE 1112-1/28/449 (South East side) 24/06/83 Nos.26 AND 27 (Formerly Listed as: HIGH OUSEGATE Nos.25, 26 AND 27) (Formerly Listed as: COPPERGATE No.3) (Formerly Listed as: COPPERGATE Nos.5 AND 7)


Includes: Nos.5 AND 7 COPPERGATE. Includes: No.3 COPPERGATE. Shop. Dated 1902. By Hornsey and Monkman. Orange-red brick in English garden wall bond, with shopfront of painted stone, marble veneer and painted cast-iron; first floor of ashlar. Steeply pitched tiled roof with moulded stone coped gables, brick kneelers and brick cornice stacks banded in ashlar. EXTERIOR: 3-storey front of 2 gabled bays. Shopfront framed in partly rusticated pilasters on moulded bases carrying coved fascia and moulded cornice between cartouche brackets carved with shopnumbers. Two shop doors of bevelled glass beneath tall segment-headed overlights recessed between plate glass windows of segment-arched lights on moulded Ionic colonnettes with arcaded clerestories. First floor windows are canted bays of 4 mullioned and transomed lights, with moulded sill band and moulded modillion cornice, continued across full width of front and surmounted over bay windows by parapets carved with swags. Windows on second floor are paired, opening on to balcony behind parapets, in keyed architraves of raised quoins, conjoined by blank cartouche. Windows are metal framed casements. Ornate tie plates in gable ends. Eaves guttering carried on elongated scrolled brackets. No.3 Coppergate. Dated 1908, with shopfront c1925. Orange brick in Flemish bond, faced with faience on ground and first floors, with bronze framed shopfront; raised chamfered quoins and dressings of faience on upper floors, and moulded gable coping of faience with ball and pedestal finial. Brick stack banded with faience to slate roof. 3 storeys and attic; 3-window gabled front. Shopfront has recessed glazed door between plate glass windows over marble risers, with mosaic tiled floor and ceiling panel in moulded plaster surround. On first floor, centre window is tripartite, in stilted round-arched architrave with acanthus keyblock, between foliate corbel shafts with imposts. Two adorned female figures, partly draped, recline on arch, and keyblock

incorporates moulded datestone with indecipherable monogram. Outer cross windows have eared architraves with shallow swan-neck pediments over tympani moulded with shell and leaf motifs. Sill band formed by moulded ground floor cornice, terminating in corbelled shafts with ball finials, over central fascia panel in scrolled frame. Second floor window is shallow 3-light oriel in quoined surround with swagged frieze, moulded cornice and sill band formed by moulded first floor cornice. Attic windows are paired round-headed lights, in stilted arches of quoins and alternating faience and gauged brick voussoirs beneath cornice keyblocks. Attic windows are small-paned, the others single paned, and all have moulded mullions and transoms. Shaped rainwater head on brackets on second floor. Nos 5 and 7 Coppergate. 1902, with later shopfront. By Hornsey and Monkman. Orange-red brick in English garden wall bond with painted stone dressings; ground floor of glazed brick around wood framed shopfront: tiled gabled roof with moulded copings and cast-iron eaves guttering on elongated scrolled brackets. 3 storeys and attics; 3-window front. To right is 3-panel door between small square-latticed windows in quoined surrounds with sill bands, beneath continuous lintel, triple-keyed over door. Shopfront to left framed in pilasters with floral carved panels at the head, and moulded cornice on carved grooved consoles: glazed door recessed to left of plate glass window framed in bronze over marble veneer riser, and with mosaic tiled threshold. In centre of first floor is 4-light mullioned window in quoined surround with cambered lintel, triple-keyed hood and moulded sill. Outer windows rise two storeys as 3-light bows, the right one carried on grooved brackets matching those of shopfront. Windows on first floor are mullioned and transomed, with moulded cornices, on second floor with coved moulded cornices and moulded plaster panels of peacocks below. In centre of second floor is 2-light window in quoined surround with moulded sill. Windows are small-pane metal framed casements and mullions and transoms are moulded. Gabled attics contain small-pane oval windows in quoined surrounds. Pierced terracotta sunflower air vents on ground floor. INTERIORS: not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 206).

Listing NGR: SE6035351701

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 206

National Grid Reference: SE 60356 51699


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 12:40:45.

End of official listing