This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

26 AND 28, GILLYGATE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 26 AND 28, GILLYGATE

List entry Number: 1257782

Location

26 AND 28, GILLYGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463464

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW GILLYGATE 1112-1/13/370 (South East side) 14/06/54 Nos.26 AND 28

GV II*

Two houses, now doctors' surgery and shop. Built in 1769 by Robert Clough. Altered in early C19 and C20. Brick in Flemish bond with some painted stone dressings. Slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic and 7 bays. The facade has a plinth, a storey band above the ground floor, and a dentilled modillion gutter cornice. The windows are glazing bar sashes (the glazing bars a C20 restoration) with rubbed brick flat arches and projecting sills. The ground-floor windows have panelled external shutters. There are 4 flat-roofed attic dormers. The ground floor of No.26 (the 2 right-hand bays) contains a C19 shopfront with timber pilasters and fascia, and a doorway recessed between 2 plate-glass windows. To its left the 5th bay contains an early C19 Tuscan pilaster doorcase with entablature and cornice hood, an overlight with glazing bars, and a door with 6 flush panels. The 2nd bay contains an original doorcase of engaged Tuscan columns, triglyph frieze blocks, fanlight, and open dentilled pediment. To the right of the doorway is a snuffer. At the right of the facade there is a rainwater downpipe with a lead hopper dated '1770'. Chimneys in front of ridge to left and right and near centre. INTERIOR: No.26 was recorded by RCHM as containing an original staircase and ceiling cornices. No.28 is said to have rococo plasterwork in a ground-floor room and in the saloon above, and a roundel with Gothic cusping above the staircase. The staircase is said to have turned balusters with large plain umbrella-shaped knops. Some original fireplaces and some later ones inserted by Thomas Wolstenholme. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 74).



Listing NGR: SE6016452331

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 74

National Grid Reference: SE 60164 52331

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 03:47:58.

End of official listing