FORMER JUNIOR SCHOOL BUILDING AT ACOMB COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257801
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1992
Statutory Address:
FORMER JUNIOR SCHOOL BUILDING AT ACOMB COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILING, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER JUNIOR SCHOOL BUILDING AT ACOMB COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257801.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 08:49:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER JUNIOR SCHOOL BUILDING AT ACOMB COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILING, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 57528 51359

Details

YORK

SE55SE FRONT STREET, Acomb 1112-1/1/1198 (South side) 30/09/92 Former Junior School Building at Acomb County Primary School & attached railing

GV II

Former Junior School, now part of Primary School. 1894, and C20 additions. Designed by Walter Brierley of Demaine and Brierley of York. Red brick with ashlar dressings and Westmorland slate roofs with raised ashlar coped gables. 2 ridge, 2 rear wall and 2 corner stacks. PLAN: U-plan. EXTERIOR: single storey. Moulded brick eaves cornice. North, Front Street, elevation has projecting central block topped by a square leaded tower with a clock to each face and an octagonal domed cupola supported on 8 wooden columns with weathervane finial. Two pairs of tall, 32 pane, glazing bar casements with flat brick heads and keystones rise through the eaves into 2 tall gables. Left and right returns each have a single tall, 48 pane, glazing bar casement with similar heads. Side wings, set back at either side, each have crow-stepped gables to both north and south. Each front has 3 graduated windows, the central taller ones 24 pane glazing bar casements with keyed segmental arch heads, the flanking windows 12 pane glazing bar casements with flat heads. The outer front of both wings to east and west each has a central pair of tall, 32 pane glazing bar casements with flat brick heads, each window rising through the eaves into paired curved gables. Rear, playground elevation, has a recessed centre with a 1-storey lean to extension. Above, between the pair of rear wall stacks, an 8-light continuous dormer window. Central late C20 projecting flat roof addition: in the corners single projecting porches with segment-headed doorways. INTERIOR: original glazed dividing screens between the classrooms, original doors, and cupboards plus 2 original tiled fireplaces. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, attached low brick wall with chamfered ashlar coping with tall railings and gates along Front Street.



Listing NGR: SE5752851359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463434
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05526/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].