Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257832

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: 5 AND 7, FEASEGATE


Ordnance survey map of 5 AND 7, FEASEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257832 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 04:47:07.


Statutory Address: 5 AND 7, FEASEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SE6030851851


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6051NW FEASEGATE 1112-1/28/321 (West side) 24/06/83 Nos.5 AND 7 (Formerly Listed as: FEASEGATE Nos.5 AND 7) (Formerly Listed as: FEASEGATE No.7A)


Pair of shops. 1884, with later alteration. By W Brown; shopfronts manufactured by the Thomlinson Walker Ironfoundry. Front of cast-iron and plate glass; left return of red brick in stretcher bond, right return rebuilt in red brick. Two brick stacks, one rebuilt, to slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 6-bay front, each shop being 3 bays. Shopfronts composed of three superimposed orders. Ground floor has part-fluted pilasters with foliate capitals; plain fascia and enriched dentil cornice between acanthus brackets with segmental caps enclosing shell motif survives to No.5. On first and second floors, the orders are fluted columns encircled by bands of rosettes, without capitals on first floor, Ionic on second floor. Plain cornice on first floor; on second floor, boldly projecting eaves cornice on moulded consoles between acanthus brackets capped with segmental gablets enclosing Art Nouveau floral motifs. Shop windows and doors altered on ground floor. On first floor, windows are flat-headed; on second floor, segment-headed with scrolled mouldings in spandrels. Panels of leaded stained glass survive in centre lights on first floor to No.5, and on second floor to both shops. Second floor centre lights have flat balustrades of scrolled wrought-iron. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 82, 178; York Historian: Malden J: The Walker Ironfoundry, York, c.1825-1923: York: 1976-: 51).

Listing NGR: SE6030851851


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463381

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 178
Malden, J, 'York Historian' in The Walker Iron Foundry York Circa 1825-1923, (1976), 51

End of official listing