THE MASONS ARMS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257836
Date first listed:
16-Feb-1996
Statutory Address:
THE MASONS ARMS, 6, FISHERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MASONS ARMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257836 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 17:19:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MASONS ARMS, 6, FISHERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60644 51277

Details

YORK

SE6051SE FISHERGATE 1112-1/22/323 (West side) 16/02/96 No.6 The Mason's Arms

GV II

Public house. 1935. By James Knight of Rotherham for Biscomb and Ferrey. Ground floor of ashlar; first floor of panels of brown brick in stretcher bond, some laid diagonally, with planted timber-framing; Westmorland slate roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 2-storey front of 6 unequal bays, with slightly jettied first floor; right end bay is recessed; centre bay projects and has bargeboarded gable which projects further on brackets over canted oriel window on first floor. In the re-entrants of the central bay are 1-storey flat roofed porches containing moulded doorways with shallow 4-centred heads, hoodmoulds and panelled double doors. 5-light central ground floor window and 2-light right end window have hollow chamfered mullions: remaining two ground floor windows are of 5 timber mullioned and transomed lights. On first floor, oriel window is of 5 lights; windows on either side are single lights or of 4 timber mullioned lights. Windows are leaded casements and top hung lights. At each end of jetty are oversize corbel, left one displaying the Five Lions of York, the right one the White Rose of York. Beneath the oriel is a fine pub sign of painted glass, showing the tools of the Mason's trade. Three painted wooden shields depict the arms of the Yorkshire Ridings. INTERIOR: fireplace and panelling in bar to right salvaged from the Castle prison gatehouse, constructed c1830, demolished 1935. Fireplace has a stone arched surround in carved wooden chimneypiece. Arch is 4 centred and springs from slender colonnette shafts with moulded bases and capitals: surround is flat arched, of 2 moulded orders, the inner springing from similar colonnette shafts; outer order is of 2 tiers of sunk panelled octagonal shafts. Centre of moulded mantelshelf is corbelled out to form a shaped candle ledge. Elaborate iron grate is cast with crocketed and gabled tracery and blind and pierced tracery. Bar is lined above dado level with wainscoting of sunk panelling with 4-centred heads. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 172; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: The Defences: HMSO: 1972-: 86).



Listing NGR: SE6064151281

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463385
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York II Defences, (1972), 86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03731/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].