This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD HALL HOTEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD HALL HOTEL

List entry Number: 1257847

Location

OLD HALL HOTEL, THE SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463396

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK0573SE THE SQUARE 616-1/4/77 (North side) 25/01/51 Old Hall Hotel (Formerly Listed as: THE CRESCENT Old Hall Hotel)

GV II*

Town house, now hotel. 1572, altered 1672, rebuilt 1725-35, extended mid C18 and 1795-1805, with late C19 refenestration and C20 alterations. Originally built for the Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury. Ashlar gritstone and render with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate hipped roofs and stone stacks. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, with 2-storey and single-storey additions, and basement to east facade. Main front has 3-storey main block left, 5 windows arranged 1:3:1, with slightly projecting side wings. Plinth, raised quoins and bands to wings, topped by moulded cornice and rebuilt ashlar parapet. Central doorway has Tuscan Doric columns and entablature, moulded concave door surround, overlight and double doors. Either side two 2/2 sashes in moulded surrounds, above central 2/2 sash within moulded round headed surround flanked by 2 tall 2/2 sashes in moulded surrounds, above again 5 similar smaller sashes. Later 2-storey wing to left has 6 windows arranged 3:3, with plinth, first-floor sill band and moulded eaves. 6 large 2/2 sashes to ground floor and 6 smaller sashes above. 4-window single-storey range beyond with similar sashes. East front has irregular 8-window front arranged 2:3:3, right section 4 storeys. Quoins, plinth, bands and moulded cornice with plain parapet partly rendered. Left section has two 2/2 sashes to lower 2 floors and 2 narrow 4/4 sashes above. Central section has central doorway with ashlar door surround and above 2 single 2/2 windows in continuous vertical panel, and either side 3-storey canted bay windows with similar sashes, the upper bays added late C19. Right section has 3 round arched openings to ground floor and 3 cross casements above with three 2/2 sashes above and above again 3 smaller similar sashes. INTERIOR: shows sections of original C16 building survive encased within later additions. Surviving features include 3 ft. thick original walling, exposed wall studding to basement,

doorways with depressed arched lintels and chamfered and stopped surrounds, some re-used, concealed mullion windows; original plasterwork to first floor principal room with encased beam with rolled mouldings. Second floor has blocked 4-light mullioned and transomed windows (concealed). Flues have been removed. The early C18 staircase rises from the entrance corridor. The kitchen fireplace probably also early C18. Later features include a C19 bow window to ground floor office, positioned to overlook corridor. HISTORY: until recently it was believed that the 1572 building was demolished in 1670. The original building reputed to have been one of many houses belonging to the Earl of Shrewsbury used to imprison Mary Queen of Scots. Later guests included Celia Fiennes (1697). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 115; Thornes R: The Old Hall Hotel , Buxton.; Morris C: The Journeys of Celia Fiennes: London: 1947-: 103).



Listing NGR: SK0575473477

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Morris, C, The Journeys of Celia Fiennes, (1947), 103
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 115
Thornes, R , The Old Hall Hotel Buxton

National Grid Reference: SK 05754 73477

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 01:58:56.

End of official listing