MASONIC HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257873

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: 12-May-1999

Statutory Address: MASONIC HALL, DUNCOMBE PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MASONIC HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257873 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 13:58:48.

Location

Statutory Address: MASONIC HALL, DUNCOMBE PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60201 52082

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK SE 6052 SW DUNCOMBE PLACE (South east side) 1112-1/27/304 Masonic Hall 14.3.97

GV II

Masonic hall, offices and flat. 1862-63, altered 1866, with early C20 extension, Hall by J Barton-Wilson and John Edwin Gates. MATERIALS: Hall of grey brick in English garden-wall bond with ashlar front, moulded cornice and hipped slate roof with brick stack: extension of red brick in English bond with brick quoins, ashlar doorcase and reset porch, and moulded stone cornice; slate hipped roof with brick corniced stacks. EXTERIOR: Hall has 2-storey 3-bay front on basement plinth: extension is of 2 storeys, 6 bays. Entrance in extension through reset round headed panelled double doors in round-arched architrave and Doric porch with triglyph frieze, moulded cornice and low parapet. Hall front has rusticated clasping pilaster strips at outer angles and to projecting centre bay, supporting entablature beneath low parapet. Two basement openings in outer bays have ornate cast-iron grilles. Ground floor windows are 1-pane sashes in plain openings over sill band. First floor windows are similar sashes with semicircular overlights in keyed round-arched openings, also with sill band. Eaves frieze inscribed with the words AUDI VIDE TACE, one over each bay. Right return: Articulated by rusticated pilaster strips carrying moulded cornice. First floor sill band returns from front as storey band. There are no openings. Towards front, upper storey is set with low relief moulding of Masonic insignia enclosed in raised surround. Extension has panelled door in keyed moulded stone doorcase at left end. Ground floor windows are unequal sashes of 6 over 9 panes: first floor windows are 12-pane sashes. All windows have stone sills; those on first floor have keyed brick arches. Broad first floor band of brick. INTERIOR: Ground floor: Library completely fitted with reused C18 raised and fielded panelling and set fireplace. The walls of the Masonic Hall are articulated by marbled pilasters of the Greek Corinthian order and incorporate paintings and Honour boards. Master's Chair and porch over doors enclosed by clustered columns. Ornately enriched frieze to coffered ceiling. Lighting columns in the form of the Classical Orders. Founded as the Union Lodge on 7 July 1777 at Lockwoods Coffee House.



Listing NGR: SE6020152082

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463347

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing