This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1257896

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BEATRICE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463334

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details





TM115E CLACTON ON SEA BEATRICE ROAD

1665/11/10000 CHURCH OF ST JAMES

II*

Church. Built during 1912-13 to the designs of Temple Moore (1856-1920). Two further bays and a west tower were intended but never built. Exterior in simplified Perpendicular style built of cement render with Bath stone dressings and tiled roof. Nave of 3 bays with south west porch and tall chancel of 4 bays with clerestorey, 3 bay north east chapel and south cast combined chapel with organ chamber above. Nave has tall paired traceried windows divided by buttresses, ogee-arched doorease to south east and south west porch with side lancets and arched doorcase flanked by buttresses. Chancel has clerestorey with double paired lancets, chapels have triple trefoliated headed windows and four-light shnilu window to east. Easternmost bay has arched traceried window. East end has four-centred arched window to clerestorey and blocked traceried window below with Calvary. Angle buttresses. Interior of mainly Romanesque character. Nave has barrel-vaulted ceiling with plain tiebeams on corbels. Aisles have roof of crownpost type. Elaborate carved oak octagonal pulpit with octagonal canopy above. Chancel has Romanesque arcades to the south and Moorish to the north. Fretted choir screen with cinquefoil-headed panels below. North east chapel has a series of fine early C20 stained glass windows, mainly to members of the Nicholson family. Sanctuary has carved reredos by Ninian Comper.



Listing NGR: TM1722114528

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 17221 14528

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 03:57:32.

End of official listing