Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257908.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 10:15:41.


Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60311 51625



SE6051NW CUMBERLAND STREET 1112-1/28/280 (North West side) 28/02/86 Grand Opera House (Formerly Listed as: CLIFFORD STREET No.8 (SS Empire))


Includes: Grand Opera House CLIFFORD STREET. Corn exchange and warehouse, converted to music hall. Corn exchange and warehouse 1868; converted 1902, restored and re-opened 1989. Conversion to music hall by JP Briggs. MATERIALS: Cumberland Street front of red brick in English bond, banded in orange brick, on sandstone plinth. King Street front of red brick in Flemish bond, on rusticated sandstone plinth, with sandstone ashlar dressings and bands of cogged brick. Slate roofs. EXTERIOR: entrance and foyer incorporated in Nos 2-10 Clifford Street (qv). Cumberland Street front: 3-storey 4-window block to left; taller block to right, of 3 storeys and basement, and 3 bays. Remodelled entrance in left block with panelled double doors in plain doorcase: to right, small round-headed window, and further right replacement panelled stage door beneath overlight. On first and second floors windows are round-headed, including tall staircase window between floors, with stone sills and round arches of brick. All windows and overlights have rounded 'Gothick' glazing. Gable eaves cornice of three stepped courses of contrasting brick, with similar band carried across gable apex beneath three stepped ventilation slits. Block to right has double door at right end beneath blocked former lifting opening: to left, inserted basement door. On ground and first floors centre windows are tripled and round headed, those on first floor stepped; additional single window at left of ground floor. All windows are now blocked and all have chamfered sills, forming sill bands beneath tripled windows, and all openings have round arches of brick. King Street front: 3 storeys and basement; 7 bays. Basement has five pairs of double board doors with tooled lintels, and one altered doorway at right end. Ground floor windows over chamfered basement band are tiered and paired, with cambered heads, and stepped back beneath segmental arches of gauged brick. On first and second floors, single tier of similar paired windows, some retaining original diamond motif glazing, others blind or blocked. First and second floor windows have bands of cogged brick beneath stone sill bands: cogged brick band also beneath eaves cornice of stepped brick corbels surmounted by pierced brick parapet. INTERIOR: restored re-using original fitments, including

scenery grid; bow-fronted box office front in new foyer; panelled and half-glazed doors with embossed bevelled glass and curvilinear glazing bars in segment-arched glazed screens with spandrels decorated with Art Nouveau carving. Auditorium retains two serpentine balconies both with moulded fronts. Rectangular moulded proscenium arch with central cartouche, flanked by full-height round arches on composite columns containing pairs of bow-fronted boxes at each balcony level. Ceiling is an oval saucer dome set in a rectangular surround with decorated spandrels and plaster sunburst radiating from the centre.

Listing NGR: SE6031151625


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04021/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].