CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257973
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETERS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257973.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 21:56:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETERS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 06684 74142

Details

BUXTON

SK07SE ST PETER'S ROAD, Fairfield 616-1/2/95 (North East side) Church of St Peter

GV II

Church. 1839, altered 1895-97, 1902 and late C20. By William Swan, village schoolmaster, on site of earlier church. Coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs. STYLE: Gothick with Gothic Revival additions. PLAN: west tower and nave. South porch added 1897 and transepts, chancel, south-east vestry and north-east organ chamber added in 1902. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth. Original nave has chamfered eaves and corner pinnacles. 3-stage west tower has rusticated quoins and single lancets to both lower stages on 3 exposed sides. Third stage has 2-light Y-tracery bell opening to each face, topped with moulded cornice battlements and corner pinnacles. Nave has three 2-light Y-tracery windows to each side and to south a projecting gabled porch, with moulded pointed arched doorway with double plank doors and ornate iron hinges, with date and inscription in gable apex. South transept has pointed arched doorway and above a 2-light pointed arched reticulated tracery window. Beyond south-east vestry has pointed arched doorway flanked by single lancets with a circular window above. Chancel has single side lancets and a 3-light pointed arched window with reticulated tracery. Organ chamber has a single lancet and north transept has a 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery. All windows have hoodmoulds and carved label stops, and the later additions to east have angle buttressing. INTERIOR: plain stonework to original building, later additions whitewashed except for gritstone dressings. Nave of 3 bays. Wooden gallery to west end on cast-iron columns, modified in 1977. 1859 king post roof. Open benches. FITTINGS: include stone font possibly from earlier church. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 214; The Story of St Peter's Church).

Listing NGR: SK0668474142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463239
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 214

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11447/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ken Bourne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].