THE BRITISH OAK PUBLIC HOUSE INCLUDING GARDEN LOGGIA TO NORTH EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257988

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1997

Statutory Address: THE BRITISH OAK PUBLIC HOUSE INCLUDING GARDEN LOGGIA TO NORTH EAST, PERSHORE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BRITISH OAK PUBLIC HOUSE INCLUDING GARDEN LOGGIA TO NORTH EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:52:13.

Location

Statutory Address: THE BRITISH OAK PUBLIC HOUSE INCLUDING GARDEN LOGGIA TO NORTH EAST, PERSHORE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 05410 81127

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 08 SE BIRMINGHAM PERSHORE ROAD (East side), Stirchley 12/10172 The British Oak Public House including garden loggia to NE II

Public house and garden loggia. 1923-4; by James and Lister Lea, for Mitchells and Butlers brewery. Red brick in Flemish bond, with diaperwork, brick mullion-transom windows and tile arches. Clay plain tile roofs with coped gable ends. Brick axial and gable-end stacks. Large public house in C17 Domestic Revival style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellar. Asymmetrical l:2:1:1 west front; canted 2 storey end bays with brick diaper pattern on parapets and narrow bay to right of centre with stepped gable, brick quoins recessed segmental arched doorway with panel above with Oak Tree in relief: and 2-light window over; brick mullion windows, the ground floor with transoms; moulded brick stringcourse at ground floor window cill level; doorway to left of centre with overlight; further bay recessed Ion right and single-storey porch on left end. At rear, gabled wing on left and single-storey flat-roof rare on right with large round-arch windows and diaperwork frieze above. INTERIOR is intact and complete with furnishings in a full suite of rooms, including lounge and public bars, smoking rooms, a function room and an outdoor. The furnishings include original bars and bar-backs, seating, panelling, chimneypieces, a lock-up bar in the function room, panelled doors with brass nameplates, some restrained plasterwork and tiled outdoor walls. GARDEN LOGGIA is of same date; red brick with clay tile hipped roof, quadrant on plan with 6-bay loggia \ with timber posts and short curved braces; at either end a square single-storey pavilion with pyramidal roc: and tile quoins; inside, along the back wall of the loggia are two benches with shaped ends. SOURCE: Crawford, A., Dunn, M., Thorne, R.,Birmingham Pubs 1986],pp 92 and 93.



Listing NGR: SP0541081127

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463212

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crawford, A, Dunn, M, Thorne, R, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939, (1986), 92-93

End of official listing