THE OCTAGONAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257997

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1997

Statutory Address: THE OCTAGONAL, ST JOHNS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OCTAGONAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257997 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 05:57:36.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OCTAGONAL, ST JOHNS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 05527 73442

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK0573SE ST JOHN'S ROAD, Pavilion Gardens 616-1/4/104 (South side) 21/12/70 The Octagonal (Formerly Listed as: THE PAVILION Octagonal Hall)

GV II

Concert hall. 1875, extended C20 and restored 1994. Designed by Robert Ripon Duke. Stone foundations to cast-iron, timber and glass structure under banded slate roof. PLAN: octagonal. EXTERIOR: single tall storey. 8 sides with gabled entrance fronts to north and south. South side has 7 windows divided by tall square cast-iron columns, with moulded capitals and bases, these window lights are arranged 1:2:3:2:1, all with stone bases and three horizontal divisions, 12 panes, 3 panes and 12 panes with curved iron brackets at eaves. Central section has glazed double doors and margin lights to windows, topped with broad glazed pediment with tripartite fanlight and side lights. Attached to the corners on the upper floor are 2 ornate iron scrolled brackets supporting single lamps. North entrance front similar though obscured by later alterations and additions. Other fronts have 4 windows, with window lights arranged 2:3:3:2 with similar glazing and dividing columns. Some fronts obscured by earlier and later buildings. All other fronts topped with ornate iron railings. Slate roof has 8 sided shallow hipped roof and then central octagonal dome with a single dormer window to each face. These dormers have tripartite windows with round headed central lights, with margin light glazing, pilaster surrounds supporting entablature with urns and central iron finial. Dome is topped with cast-iron crown. The exterior rain water goods bear the inscription: R & J Rankin /Union Foundry /Liverpool. INTERIOR: paired cast-iron columns part fluted with ornate capitals support the central dome section, with the roof line sloping on cast-iron ribs to the outer edges. Decoration includes ornate spandrels and trellises. There are lunettes to north and south. An inserted stage and ceiling obscure some of the original structure. HISTORY: this Concert Hall was built as part of the entertainment buildings constructed on the north side of the Pavilion Gardens, which were donated to the town by the 7th

Duke of Devonshire. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 117).



Listing NGR: SK0552773442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463221

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 117

End of official listing