KINNERSLEY MANOR SOUTH BANK THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257998

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1997

Statutory Address: KINNERSLEY MANOR, REIGATE ROAD

Statutory Address: SOUTH BANK, REIGATE ROAD

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, REIGATE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KINNERSLEY MANOR
SOUTH BANK
THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257998 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:03:06.

Location

Statutory Address: KINNERSLEY MANOR, REIGATE ROAD

Statutory Address: SOUTH BANK, REIGATE ROAD

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, REIGATE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)

Parish: Salfords and Sidlow

National Grid Reference: TQ 26359 46192

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 24 NE SALFORDS AND SIDLOW CP REIGATE ROAD (east side -off) 187/2/10002 The Manor House and South Bank, Kinnersley Manor

II

Two wings of a mansion house, now in separate ownership. The surviving part of a mansion of 1579 called Kimlersley Manor built by John More, partially refronted and refenestrated in C18 and with late C19 alterations and additions. Timberframed building with plaster infill, the framing with close-studded panels exposed on north and east elevations but underbuilt in painted brick on the ground floor, the north front stuccoed. Front roof slope of The Manor House has Horsham stone slabs, otherwise tiled roof with clustered brick chimneystacks. Kinnersley Manor was originally square on plan with central courtyard. The Manor House is the north wing and South Bank the east wing. The other two wings were pulled down in the late C19 and the courtyard filled in. The replacement buildings which have separate postal addresses are not of special interest. Two storeys attics and basement. The Manor House north front has 3 projecting gables with moulded wooden bargeboards, finials and original three-light wooden mullions. Lower floors have five bays of 12-pane sashes. Central doorcase has rectangular fanlight and half-glazed door behind C19 wooden porch. Return to west has similar gable which is tile hung and later projection to two lower floors with sash windows. East front comprises gable to north (part of The Manor House) and remainder (part of South Bank) which has gable with carved bargeboards to south and C19 gabled dormer. Most windows are sashes but there is the outline of two blocked original casements on the first floor. South front of South Bank is covered in late C19 stucco with projecting gable to south west. Three casement windows on this front. The Manor House has late C16 cross beams with lamb's tongue stops to cellar and C18 wine bins. Ground floor west room has fine C16 Reigate stone fireplace with decorated spandrels and was originally panelled. The dining room has a cornice of wheat and cornucopia, an early C19 six-panelled door, late C19 black marble fireplace and the windows have two surviving pieces of C16 stained glass coats of arms of the More family. First floor has a further C16 Reigate stone fireplace of similar pattern and a corner room has a cross beam with lamb's tongue stops and a roll moulded beam. A wooden panel with carved fleur de lys is a rare survival of a C16 wooden window shutter. Second floor has a room with exposed plaster with painted ermine decoration. Queenpost roof with diagonal braces. South Bank retains internally the original external wall to the courtyard. Weathered timberframing with plaster infill. First floor room has moulded crossbeams. Butt purlin roof construction. There is a boarded-up late C18 service staircase. The current staircase is a late C19 well staircase situated in the original courtyard. Kinnersley appears on Speed's map of Surrey of 1623 in lettering as large as the adjoining towns. The whole building was described by Manning and Bray in 1809 as "Large, timber built and consists of a quadrangle enclosing a court. In the upper storey is a room which runs round the whole, on the outside walls of this room, all round, are small cabins sufficient to contain a bedstead, some of which remained until lately." It was painted by the Hassell Brothers in the 1820s and 1830s. [DBRG Report No 2469 September 1980.]



Listing NGR: TQ2635946192

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463222

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing