CHURCH OF ST FAITH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257999
Date first listed:
12-Feb-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FAITH, VICTORIA SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST FAITH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257999 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 13:58:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FAITH, VICTORIA SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Gosport (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 56197 00885

Details

GOSPORT

SU 50 SE VICTORIA SQUARE, Lee-On-The-Solent 1137-0/1/10034 Church of St Faith

II

Anglican church. 1933, by Seely and Paget. English bond red brick with some stone dressings; reinforced-concrete transverse arch structure. Clay plain tile roof with pedimented gable ends. PLAN: Nave with north and south aisles and chancel under one roof and with an integral outshut with flanking porches on the south side containing a chapel and vestries. Renaissance style exterior. EXTERIOR: The east and west ends have superimposed brick pilasters at the corners and at the centre, the east end rising to an arch with a pediment in the gable; the moulded stone strings break forward over the pilasters and continue on the returns as gutters over the corner bays. On the north and south sides, between the corners, the mansard roof is carried down to lower eaves with four tall pedimented clerestory dormers with round-arch multi-pane windows; the eaves on the south side reach lower and the centre is flanked by pedimented porches with round arches containing stone doorcases; 1 and 2-light round-headed windows with metal frames with small panes. The west end has relieving arch over tall lancet at centre with stone doorframe below with panelled door; on the west gable a brick bellcote with a open pediment. Late C20 church rooms in monopitch extension on north side. INTERIOR: Whitewashed plaster interior with eight bays of reinforced-concrete trusses with tall parabolic arches, each pierced by smaller parabola for the narrow passage aisles; purlins also reinforced-concrete. Stone altar has canopy over and tall flanking recessed round-arched lancets. Choir stalls, pulpit and lectern are intact and comprise low whitewashed walls capped with cedar tops. Other furnishings designed by the architects include, sedilia, altar rail, font and chapel altar. SOURCES: Buildings of England, page 318. New Churches Illustrated 1926-1936, Incorporated Church Building Society, page 76. ____________



Listing NGR: SU5639800964

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463223
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 318
Other
New Churches Illustrated Photographs Ground Plans and Information Regarding Fifty Two Churches Erected During the Years 1926-1936, (1936)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02007/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Bardell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].