SWANMORE PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258016
Date first listed:
11-Feb-1997
Statutory Address:
SWANMORE PARK HOUSE, PARK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWANMORE PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258016.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 11:52:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
SWANMORE PARK HOUSE, PARK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Swanmore
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 58348 17802

Details

SU 51 NE SWANMORE PARK LANE Upper Swanmore 1879- /4/10006 Swanmore Park House

II

Country house, converted into flats. 1878-82, by Alfred Waterhouse for Charles Myers; converted into flats in mid C20. Red brick with coloured concrete dressings. clay shaped tile roof with gabled ends and pierced ridge-tiles. Brick axial stacks with brick shafts and corbelled brick tops. PLAN: Built around a small central well with the principal rooms on the west, south and east fronts, service rooms to the north, truncated; later in the C19 a billiard room wing was added to the south west by Waterhouse and in about the mid C20 the whole house was converted into six flats. High Victorian Gothic style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical gabled elevations with decorative brickwork comprising blind arcading in the gables, brick corbelling, a deep frieze of raised brick diaperwork between ground and first floor windows and mullion-transom windows with cambered heads to the lights. The west front of six bays with gabled wing on left with canted and crenellated 2-storey bay window and with large gable and porch in the left angle; smaller gables to the range on the left. The east elevation has projecting gabled bay to right of centre with integral lean-to porch and buttress on left with round arch doorway (now window) and above an armorial panel; lower projecting gable to left. South garden front has slightly advanced gabled bay on right and canted bay to left of centre with steeply pitched hipped roof with ornate wrought-iron weathervane; single storey billiard room wing on left with gable on its east front and large lantern on the roof. The rear (north) has projecting gable on right and truncated wing on right. The small inner courtyard is partly covered by a canopy in the form of a 2-bay timber wagon roof. INTERIOR: Converted into flats when a hall and staircase were destroyed, but other rooms have survived, including the dining room with a ribbed moulded plaster ceiling and the drawing room in a Neo-classical style; several original chimneypieces remain and in the entrance porch there is some stained glass. SOURCE: Cunningham, P., Alfred Waterhouse: A Biography of a Practice, page 253.



Listing NGR: SU5823617377

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463199
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Cunningham, C, Alfred Waterhouse 1830-1905 A Biography of a Practice, (1992)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/02207/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter MacLeod. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].