CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1258025

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ST JOHNS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 14:31:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ST JOHNS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 05617 73550

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK0573NE ST JOHN'S ROAD 616-1/3/69 (North side) 25/01/51 Church of St John the Baptist

II

Church. 1802-1811 with portico infilled to form chancel in 1896. Designed by John White. Ashlar gritstone, with ashlar dressings, slate roof with stone stacks. STYLE: Neo-Classical. PLAN: cruciform. EXTERIOR: plinth, rusticated quoins and moulded eaves band and cornice. West front has 4 giant Doric pilasters topped by a broad pediment, with central doorway in moulded ashlar surround with hood and double panel doors with overlight divided into 5 round headed lights. Either side single windows with glazing bars, and above 3 circular windows. Tower rises from above western pediment on square base with cupola above, this has 4 round arches with panelled pilasters between and balusters between. Above octagonal panel stage with ball finials and copper octagonal dome with finial. South front has projecting centre topped with pediment and a single round headed window in moulded surround. Either side single similar round headed windows in moulded surrounds, and beyond set back ashlar sections with giant pilasters and moulded door surrounds with hoods, that to left blind, that to right with double panel doors. North front similar to south front. East front has former portico with giant square corner columns and circular columns in antis, now in-filled. Central round arched Venetian window with full overlight flanked by blind round headed windows with narrow slit windows all linked by a sill band, and below each of the outer windows a segment headed window. Whole front topped by broad pediment with panel inscribed MDCCCXI. INTERIOR: plain with pilastered walls, coved plaster ceiling. No aisles but shallow transepts. Baptistery 1876. West gallery with wooden supporting columns added 1911. Chancel with decorative mosaics and "opus sectile" side panels to altar, 1902. FITTINGS: include pulpit of 1867 designed by Henry Currey. Font 1875. Reredos 1896-7. The carved choir and clergy stalls incorporate rams heads as wrought-iron brackets. Organ by W Hill 1897. STAINED GLASS: 2 windows to the North side are by CE Kempe 1897-1903. Also one window to the South side (1920) and the East window are reputed to be by Kempe and Co. There are 3 memorial tablets to the Duke of Devonshire's agents. The north-west window is reputed to be original. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 115; Leach John: The Book Of Buxton: Leicester: 1987-).



Listing NGR: SK0561773550

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463208

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Leach, J, The Book of Buxton, (1987)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 115

End of official listing