ST SAVIOURS VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1258026

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1997

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Aug-1997

Statutory Address: ST SAVIOURS VICARAGE, 205, VICARAGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST SAVIOURS VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 23:03:44.

Location

Statutory Address: ST SAVIOURS VICARAGE, 205, VICARAGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Spelthorne (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 09931 70317

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 07 SE SUNBURY ON THAMES VICARAGE ROAD (west side)

1878/1/10002 No.205 (St Saviour's Vicarage)

12/2/97 II

Vicarage. 1886-7 by J D Sedding in Gothic style. Yellow brick with red brick banding and stone door and window surrounds. First floor part tile hung over brick dentil course. Tiled roofs with decorative ridge cresting. Grouped stacks with banded decoration. Two storeys; irregular fenestration, mainly in original window surrounds but, on the first floor, only one side window retains original leaded lights. Entrance front has stone window surrounds with label mouldings over on ground floor. Labels continue as string course and hood mould over main entrance door at left end of elevation with uncarved end stops. Uncarved keystone block over door and carved date plaque to left of door. Gothic style footscrapers. First floor oriel windows on small brackets, one with original leaded lights, otherwise the individual casements all C20 replacements. Left side return front has three two-light leaded oriel windows on shallow brackets. Right hand return front has hipped roofed porch extending down onto solid circular stone column. Original coal hole and storage room doors and frames. Rear elevation has tile-hanging renewed and C20 first floor casements. Interior survives remarkably intact and includes bell fitting in entrance hall, which was used formerly for church council business. Black, red and cream patterned tiled floor, also extending into the corridor. Study has deep dado rail, fine stone and red rubbed brick fireplace in radiating pattern with double roll moulding. Deep coffered hollow oak ceiling with chamfer decoration. Dining room has deep dado rail and ceiling of pattern similar to that in the study. Fine fireplace with four centred arch of limestone and rubbed brick. Wooden benches on turned logs either side are of Scots pine, as are most wooden fittings in the house. Pneumatic pipe for summoning servants. Small sitting room has similar dado and ceiling and simpler fireplace with wooden mantlepiece over stone arch. Majority of doors throughout the house are gothic arched pattern with original furniture. Staircase with turned balusters and panelled newels under ogee section finials. Applied fret of tulip pattern to strings. Bedrooms generally retain their original fireplaces, that in the main bedroom with decorative tiles. An unusual feature of the house is the ventilation system in the ceilings, probably to ameliorate the effects of gas lights. The service wing is particularly complete. The old kitchen retains the original dresser and deep fireplace with chamfered edges and stone hearth. Complete larder with arched door, gauze ventilating panel and wooden shelves. North larder and scullery have stone flagged floors and there is a complete set of offices surviving. This was originally built as the vicarage to a temporary church and is now serving the Church of St Saviour (built in 1912). Designs for the church were exhibited by Sedding in Building News June 271884, and again June 26,1885, but neither were carried out. Land for the vicarage and its cost (?1600) was met by a local estate agent, Mr Cough. Original documentation relating to the vicarage is held by the church.



Listing NGR: TQ0993170317

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463209

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing